10-11 Poker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

10-11 Poker

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well here is a poker that I did for a commission. This one was frustrating. I screwed up the first stem when I was nearly done, so I had to cut another. The pipe doesn't balance because in an attempt to get below some flaws the bowl got too light. Another side effect of that charlie foxtrot was that the shank became proportionally too long. But at long last, here she is. As usual any critique is welcome and needed.

d.huber

Re: 10-11 Poker

Post by d.huber »

Nice job, Jessie!

If I had to pick only one thing, I'd say tighten up your lines on this one. In the photos, it looks a bit like the lines of the bowl and the lines of the shank bulge as they travel from end to end.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

UberHuberMan wrote:In the photos, it looks a bit like the lines of the bowl and the lines of the shank bulge as they travel from end to end.
You are correct. They got distorted during the sanding process and I just couldn't seem to get them straightened out with sandpaper. I really didn't want to break out the files again. I'd already invested 10 hours in the pipe; I wasn't going to put in another 1 or 2 straightening up the shank, especially for what I agreed to sell it for.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

You can lighten up the weight out on the stem/shank by cutting the saddle shoulder quite a bit shorter (I think the overall design can handle it because the shank is really - really long)

Pay attention to the profile of the pipe - the edge of the bowl below the shank should be a continuation of the edge above the shank.

The bottom of the shank (close to the bowl) could stand to have some material removed as well.
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Nice looking finish on the pipe but for being a poker pipe the walls look way to thin for my preference and the stem seems to look heavier than the pipe may i ask if it stands by itself. If so make the stem a bit shorter overall its a nice looking poker pipe.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

@ kkendall: the first stem I cut for this one had a shorter saddle shoulder; problem is I got it so thin I broke through the material and started to expose the delrin tenon underneath. I decided I wouldn't risk it on the second stem. I also thought about cutting down the shank, re-facing the shank, and drilling a new mortise, but I was worried about destroying the pipe altogether.

@ uniquebriar: Yeah, the walls are thinner than I would like. Again a result of some flaws in the material. I did get under them for the most part but my shank wound up longer, my walls thinner, and it lost its ability to balance. What a bummer.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I like the idea of shortening the saddle. That would really help make it look proportionally better. I know the limited tools you're working with and think you did a great job. The comments already made pretty much sum it up for me.

Congrats on having another "sold" pipe.

Brian.