tomato....of the heirloom variety

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

tomato....of the heirloom variety

Post by scotties22 »

Hi guys. I hit a bunch of snags with this block of wood. There were quite a few large flaws that I had to remove. I am still sanding and working on the stem. I am not happy with the way the stem is turning out. It is the first blank I have "modified" in any way and I have had trouble with it. I do plan to give it a bit of a bend. Any suggestions before I'm ready to final sand and stain? I know the walls are uneven, but kinda like the way it looks. This pipe is for my Grandpa Smitty (really his name) and he used to run a little produce stand. I thought he would get a kick out of smoking a tomato after selling them for years.

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Re: tomato....of the heirloom variety

Post by Sasquatch »

The bottom line of the stem has a slight curve, if you match it and curve the top line of the stem (currently dead straight) you'll have a really cute pipe there.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

For a newbie you did a excellent job scottie i still have yet to make a bent pipe keep up the good work and hope to see more from you.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Thanks. I am still working on the stem (trying to match top and bottom...thanks Sas), but the stummel is finished. I am going to take pictures tomorrow. Will post as soon as I have some good shade.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Doh I meant to type "shank" not stem.

I iz a clowner.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Not much I can do there. They way I cut the shank I don't have a lot of wiggle room before I'm into the draft hole. I did hit that spot again after I took these pictures. It's not as bad, but still straight compared to the bottom side. Something to keep in mind for the next one. Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate it.

Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Usually when you are absolutely certain that there is a hair-width of briar left, there's about 3/8". :D

Usually. :lol:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Exactly sas- unless, like me, you've sanded into the bowl before(supersuckage). Scottie, perhaps if you take that bottom line, and sand just a little more to give it some more curve at the front end you could get a really nice flow on your pipe. Especially if you coupled it with Sas's advice and went a bit more to match them curves(if you sand through into the chamber Sas will reimburse you a block of briar and a stem blank to repay you for his shitty advice). As is though I think you're doing an awesome job- keep at it!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's the airway she's worried about hitting from the top of the shank I think. I did that once, but far far more often I've thought "Oh my GAWD that's close" and... it just isn't.
The Smoking Yeti

I know Sas- just saying I personally sanded into the chamber- not the airway. I agree with what you're saying, don't worry. Spaz.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, I'm really close to the airway on the top of the shank. I'd say I have right around 1/8 of an inch or so. It sounds a little thin when I tap on it. I'm gonna leave it alone. I am starting another tomato now....my husband decided to keep this one for himself so I have to make another one to send to Grandpa Smitty. I will give the shank some extra attention on the next. Going outside to take pictures...will post in a bit.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I know Sas- just saying I personally sanded into the chamber- not the airway. I agree with what you're saying, don't worry. Spaz.
Yer the spaz. spaz! Whose sanding into the chamber, huh? Ya Spaz.

Don't be so defensive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2o8ywK ... re=related
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:I know Sas- just saying I personally sanded into the chamber- not the airway. I agree with what you're saying, don't worry. Spaz.
Yer the spaz. spaz! Whose sanding into the chamber, huh? Ya Spaz.

Don't be so defensive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2o8ywK ... re=related
So. Awkward.

Edit: The clip! The clip is awkward! Wouldn't want anyone spazing out, you know.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's Canadian comedy in a very British tradition. Taking those little peculiarities of speech and manner (and intent), and making a character out of them who is both completely believable and so over the top that it's utterly ridiculous. And probably no one better at this in the whole world than Martin Short.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Okay, here ya go. Comments welcome.

Length: 5 inches
Bowl Height: 1.875
Chamber: .80
Chamber depth: 1.25

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Scottie you're a boss. I love the progress I'm seeing here!

I'd say watch the curve of the lines in the future(it'd help the overall flow) also, I'm not quite sure from the pictures, but make sure your stem is square with the draught hole in the shank(square the stem with a forstner right after you drill the mortise and airhole, before you unclamp it), and work on keeping a really slim stem, don't be afraid to take off material.

HOWEVER, despite all that, I think you are making phenomenal progress- honest this is some GREAT work you're doing. Now make fifty more(as they always say). Keep it up!

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

The stem is square...its everything else around it thats off :oops: I drill the airway, mortise and face the shank before I move anything. I face my stem then drill for my tenon without moving anything too. I added the black acrylic and little sliver of briar to the stem. Somewhere along the line I got a little crooked with things. The more I try to fix it the worse it looks. I am going to walk away from it for a few days then come back and square the stem up.

Making 50 more won't be a problem. I have two more started already, a straight brandy and another tomato. I should have the stems fitted tonight. I will do the rough shaping tomorrow during nap time (the shop vac and belt sander are too noisy to run at midnight :D
www.ladybriar.com