JSEC Pipes - Last ones for a while

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

JSEC Pipes - Last ones for a while

Post by jogilli »

Good day.. Well these are my latest two.. more pictures are of course on my website..

Nerice

and my part for the Speyer 2012 Pipes Show PITH (Pipe in the Hat Trade)

d.huber

Re: JSEC Pipes - Last ones for a while

Post by d.huber »

Well done as usual, James. Love the lady leg!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Why the last ones for a while?

-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Very good stuff. My pick is the first. I'm not into chicks that chubby.

Both very well done. Congrats.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Ocelot... my choice is the first one also.. the lady leg took about 6 weeks to make since it caused me struggles

Hub... 1 week vacation w/the wife and then I'm nearly gone the entire month of August on multiple business trips... I might get a day or two in the shop mid august.. that's why I started this one.. for when the jet lag hits the 4 days I'm back in Germany.. 4 trips to the States to 5 different locations.. longest stint is the Suffolk area.. Meeting one of the group there around the weekend of 4 August

james

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

jogilli wrote:Ocelot... my choice is the first one also.. the lady leg took about 6 weeks to make since it caused me struggles

Hub... 1 week vacation w/the wife and then I'm nearly gone the entire month of August on multiple business trips... I might get a day or two in the shop mid august.. that's why I started this one.. for when the jet lag hits the 4 days I'm back in Germany.. 4 trips to the States to 5 different locations.. longest stint is the Suffolk area.. Meeting one of the group there around the weekend of 4 August

james

That's gonna be a beauty. Safe travels!

-Tyler Beard
meathod

Post by meathod »

That whitish ring accent around the mortise is phenomenal. The color combination is puurrfect.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

James,

First of all, I really like the one you're working on right now. I think it's going to look great!

Now, for some critique (for what it's worth). I have two points, one is very much a "Preference" point, and the other, I believe is more a structural flow issue.

2. It looks like your stem is going into the shank at the wrong angle. I always feel like you should be able to find the center line of the stem and shank, and that the two should flow smoothly together. Take a look at my very quick photoshop version of your pipe with a different stem angle. (I COULD BE WRONG ON THIS, but it's how it hit me.)

1. Preference: you have such a rounded front of the bowl, that I feel you should have at least some rounding on the back side. The pic below also shows you what that may have looked like, but once again, totally preference.

Great job with the rustication and ring. They really look great.

Brian.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Thanks all.. Good point Brian... at that angle though for the stem it would look better if more meat would be taken off of the stummel so the flare on the stem is closer to the same angle as the stummel... but that would put the tobacco chamber at nearly 140 degrees.. almost a horn at that point..

It was drilled so the tobacco chamber and the mortise for the stem offset each other

tks again for all the comments

james