Rusticated Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

Rusticated Billiard

Post by Cory »

This is #8 I think.

Still trying to figure out how to get a better finish on a rustication - anyone?. Sorry about picture quality - can't find my real camera.

Suggestions/comments are welcome; critiques are appreciated.

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
wdteipen

Re: Rusticated Billiard

Post by wdteipen »

Nice rustication. Your shank is too short even for a stacked billiard. Your shank tapers too much. Your saddles could be more crisp. Drilling looks spot on. Overall, pretty decent. A thin coat of shellac is the best way to put a finish on rusticated and sandblasted pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Oh, and thanks for sanding the stain out of your chamber. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

wdteipen wrote:Oh, and thanks for sanding the stain out of your chamber. :lol:
Thanks for the critique! And I was thinking of you as I did it haha.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

that's a long one.. did you're pipe get my pregnant (Isn't a beer gut wayne :oops: )

The rustication is nice.. but for finer smaller cuts.. take the shank of a spade bit.. or some other small diameter metal and but cross patterns in the end so it looks like nail points...

then just twist your heart out... I glue mine into a handle for better... twisting

james