#6- brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

#6- brandy

Post by scotties22 »

Hi guys. This is what I have been working on the past few night. Things are going fairly well and I'm almost done with shaping. The bowl is still off a little, left to right, at the bottom and the shank is fatter at the bowl end...all to be fixed soon. My question is about the stem. I am very, very limited on material and this is the shortest stem I have. I think it is a bit too long for the stummel, but thought I would ask for some help. Right now the overall length of the pipe is 6.25 inches. The stem is a 2.25 inch round saddle. Any suggestions on stem length and style would be appreciated.

Oh, and this is what I'm going to attempt on the shank.....attempt being the key word :D

Sorry for the crappy photos, it was pretty late last night when I took them.

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
taharris

Re: #6- brandy

Post by taharris »

The profile from the front of the bowl looks pretty good, but when you look at the bowl from the side it has a very prominent "chin".

The profile from the side should match the profile from the front.

It's a nice start though. Make sure you post pictures when it is done.

Todd
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Well, if you could clamp that stem under the drill press and shave down the chunky part before the saddle with a forstner bit that might help with your proportions. Otherwise I'd say crack on with this and see how it looks.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Well, here she is. I ran into a huge crack in the shank. I got most of it out and I think that's as good as it's going to get. I was afraid to make it any smaller for fear of breaking it off.

Length: 6.25 inches
Bowl Height: 1.5 inches
Bowl Diameter (at bottom) 1.75 inches
Chamber Height: 1.375 inches
Chamber Diameter: .78 inches
Stem: Vulcanite, length 2.25 inches

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

You could use a little more shaping to make it symmetrical (top and bottom views really highlight this issue). I don't think I would call it a Brandy. Looks more like a straight diplomat that needs some shaping to me.

Here is a good standard for Brandy: http://www.aspipes.com/Shapes/Brandy.htm

The stem could loose a lot of material (too long - easy enough to put it in a vice and use a forstner to cut down about 1/2" or so off the shank-side)

Stem/shank looks pretty good, but could be better.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

I agree with Chris more shapeing is needed. also I think the stem is a tad long A longer shank and a shorter stem may give you a sharper line good job!
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

Who the hell is Chris?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, I need another light in the garage (something I will have my husband rectify this weekend). I have a shadow that really plays tricks on my eyes. I thought I had it pretty symetrical and didn't bring it in the house to take a better look before I stained it. I'll make sure I give the next one a better look before I start staining. This is a preform stem and is really all I had. I thought about trying to get rid of the saddle and just tapering it. I do have another one of these stems and might give that a try. I haven't tried hand cutting a stem yet...soon, precious, soon.

Cory, I do agree that it does look more like a diplomat than a brandy. I hit a huge flaw that I decided to sand out and lost the roundness in the bowl.

Thanks for the critiques guys. A few more things to keep in mind for the next one.

Best,
Scottie
www.ladybriar.com