first post

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
the rev

first post

Post by the rev »

I am a hobbyist that is trying to get better

I am working with kits now, I have a drill press, and spoon bits, will get other tools as I need it. Also have the bench top belt sander. I will look around for more information, I will especially need lots of learning on how to make nice stems.

Here are some of my pipes, they are pretty bad photos as I have a condition that makes me shake when trying to hold still

this is a very large fan pipe I made for a friend Image

This is a freestyle church warden with burr rustication

This is my own pipe, a fan style pipe that feels really good in my hand

And this is a "web" pipe

Ok, please be gentle

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Re: first post

Post by d.huber »

Hey rev, not bad at all. It looks like you're having a good time making those puppies! The web pipe is pretty neat. Try to get your stem face and shank face flush and you'll improve your pipes a lot.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
longneckers

Post by longneckers »

I like the last one I am very impressed

Longneckers
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

looks good!
I play the bagpipes, heck when I started they said there were only 9 notes on a bagpipe. I said how hard can it be? lol
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I think working on the engineering aspect(seamless stem junctions) is a great tip, you seem to be capable of some more complicated shapes for sure. I would suggest visiting a more classic shape, I think practicing something tried and true will actually help you innovate better. My other thought, is how are you applying your finish/ what is it?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Cory

Post by Cory »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I think working on the engineering aspect(seamless stem junctions) is a great tip, you seem to be capable of some more complicated shapes for sure. I would suggest visiting a more classic shape, I think practicing something tried and true will actually help you innovate better.
X2. You can make as many crazy and freehand shapes as you want, once you master (or at least understand) how to make a quality classic shape. It will help you a lot with your stem problems, shaping, drilling, and finishing (basically, everything).

On top of the benefit of practicing a known shape, you will also get much more helpful critique since there is a more canonized standard for grading/quality of classic shapes.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
the rev

Post by the rev »

I was under the impression that the classical shapes were much harder to do without a lathe, which I don't have yet. Is this not true, or is the idea that it is harder? Can I make a bulldog or billiard with just a bench sander? I will take your advise, just wondering. And can I make my own pipe stem without a lathe?

As to my finish I am taking it up to 400 grit sandpaper, then I use Mohawk alcohol penetrating stains. Sometimes I will resand a time or two an apply another color over it. I will use a black stain for rusticated spots or the top burl. Then I use wax and buff it out.

I will look around for more tips on how to do things better, but please feel free to continue to critique.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course