#10 - Never Again...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

#10 - Never Again...

Post by Cory »

Ignore the poor quality phone camera pictures.

So. This was my first sold pipe, my first commission, my first shank extension (technically stem extension)*, my first upside-down shank, and the first pipe that I truly hated.

Oh yeah; the airhole goes through the side of the tenon....PITA

Here it is, in all its hellish glory.

*What is the trick to a perfectly square shank extension on a drill press? I had a hell of a time getting a reasonable sized gap (much less no gap). The stem/extension joint was fine, but the extension/shank joint sucks.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
PhilipMarc

Re: #10 - Never Again...

Post by PhilipMarc »

I have two questions.

1. Is the draught hole at the middle/top of the chamber? If so, obviously the smoker won't be able to get very far.

2. Why would you sell a pipe that you hated?

A very good piece of advice that was passed on to me early on by Stephen Downie was this...

Don't sell a pipe that is of poor quality. Ever. It's tempting as a pipemaker starting out, but it's not worth it, because maybe the customer will like it for a while, but as they learn what the difference is between an OK pipe and a great pipe, you will never see their money again and they won't tell their friends about you.
In application, it can be tough to know when you're ready to sell pipes, but it's better to be on the safe side and keep a pipe you're not 100% sure about, or give it to a friend for free or maybe a few bucks for materials and do NOT stamp your name on it. I have sold only 1 pipe at "full price" so far ($90), out of roughly 30 that I've made since I started. Some of them came out quite nicely, but they still went either into a drawer in my apartment or my kitchen trash can, because they're not GREAT. Significant stem/shank gaps, poor shaping, nasty flaws in the briar, a pipe (either on the stummel or the stem) that still has a SINGLE visible sanding gouge or mark, poor mechanics such as a draught hole too high up in the bowl or a loose fitting stem: these are all reasons not to sell a pipe if you ask me. You wouldn't even see any of those things on a Stanwell pipe, and most Stanwell pipes are not hand-made.

In relation to the joint between the extension and the shank, what are you using to face the surfaces? I use a large diameter precision ground Forstner bit from Freud. Use them at or below the recommended maximum RPM on the packaging, otherwise you'll start to dull the bit (learned this from experience). That should give you very nice flush surfaces. Make sure you're careful to keep the block steady while you're drilling; very steady. If it tilts even a fraction of a millimeter while you're drilling, the surface won't be completely flush and you'll have a visible light gap.
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
Cory

Post by Cory »

1. It goes down at a very steep angle. Spoke to the guy who purchased yesterday and he said it was smoking very good.

2. I didn't hate it so much because of the quality (I didn't sell it for full price; I got $60 for it), but mainly because it was just a really frustrating project. The geometry from the draught hole is just ridiculous. And on top of that I had the problem with the shank extension.

Thanks for the advice.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

It's hard to critique without the correct photos. Perhaps you can include a side profile shot and either a top or bottom.
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

kkendall wrote:It's hard to critique without the correct photos. Perhaps you can include a side profile shot and either a top or bottom.
How can he did he not sell it already?
Also PhilipMarc is right you should have not sold a pipe you hate.
It only takes 1 pipe to ruin your reputation.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

uniquebriar wrote: How can he did he not sell it already?
Just a hunch he had 15 more pics that he didn't post
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Nothing wrong with selling a pipe you hate as long as it is well made. I can't count the number of pipes I have made that I truly hated, either far too big and fat or gaudy colours, ugly shaping etc. The customers however were all delighted and have ordered more pipes since. Even though I hated the pipes I still enjoyed working on them and still put 100% effort in which is the most important bit.
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Mr. Askwith is a much better pipe maker than I am, so I won't argue with him. :lol:

On the other hand, I'm not sure this case was purely a matter of taste. There was at least one significant flaw mentioned. I do think it was a mistake to sell the pipe--that's just my opinion. I've made a thousand mistakes so I'm not trying to condemn anybody by any means. If the consequences of making poor career decisions were eternal I'd be the first in hell, but unless we beginners deny ourselves the pleasure of success now, we risk our future successes being short lived.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to weasel my way out of admitting a mistake. The right thing, since I wasn't 100% happy/proud, would have been to remake it. It was a mistake on my end - hopefully one I won't regret. I do plan to start selling pipes in the future, so quality is something very important to me. The important thing is that the customer was happy with it - he called me about 10 minutes after I dropped it off to tell me it was smoking really well. If he had been dissatisfied, I would have taken it back and started over.

Like all of my pipes to date, this has been a learning experience - both woodworking-wise and business-wise.

Thanks for the critique.

And I actually only took about 5 photos. I should have looked through them before selling it. Didn't realize I failed to get some key shots. Sorry about that.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Cory,

What people are trying to hint at is that your pipes are nowhere near ready for sale, your shaping and finishing is still poor and you need a lot of practice in general pipemaking.

David.
Cory

Post by Cory »

DMI wrote:Cory,

What people are trying to hint at is that your pipes are nowhere near ready for sale, your shaping and finishing is still poor and you need a lot of practice in general pipemaking.

David.
I didn't really get that from anyone else other than you, but thanks for taking the time to make a helpful critique.
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Cory,

Obviously there's a bit of tension in this thread and I want to alleviate that as best I can, but also have this be a thread which you gain valuable information from. That's the point of this whole forum, after all--sharing valuable information and experience with people who want to enter the most wonderful profession of pipemaking.
I think David was being much more "to the point," and perhaps too much so, but he's right in that your pipes are not ready to be sold yet if you ever want to have any real success.

Here are a couple of things about this pipe that need fixing, objectively. I won't go into matters of opinion, because like Mr. Askwith said, you don't have to like the style of a pipe in order to sell it and have a happy customer who will tell his friends about your great craftsmanship.

-The pipe has the design of a sitter, but does not sit.
-The stain job is uneven, especially on the left side of the pipe. The color also does not contribute to a flowing color scheme with the extension and stem--they're at odds with each other.
-The shank should be more defined.
-The lines of shaping are not sharp enough (the black undercoat is bleeding onto the front of the pipe in one area, and the definition between the 'natural' part [front and top] and the part where you've created a contrast is lacking definition).
-The pipe does not conform to any established guideline of shaping. This is a big one. Even "freehand" is a shape, albeit more interpretive. Some would say this is a matter of opinion, but they are wrong. Putting paint on a canvas doesn't mean you've "painted." A real artist studies his art, not his self. There's a difference between a pipe and a block of wood with holes drilled in it.

Live in the moment. Right now your work still needs improvement, as does mine. That's OK. We are beginners, and beginners are never great.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Wow Phillip, I didn't realize people from Jersey could be so kind and helpful :twisted:

But yes, what you said is spot on. Don't be discouraged by criticism, try to learn from the good stuff and ignore the bad. The informal slogan around here is "now make fifty more".

Keep at it! :D
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Cory

Post by Cory »

Thanks for the comments Phillip and Yeti.

For reference he said he wanted something like this, but not exactly: http://www.purisme.com/ (go to 'Men', then the pipe on the bottom row).

I know my work is not up to professional standards by any means, but I feel I have improved from my first and learned things from each and every pipe. Which is what I am focusing on while I make my pipes right now - learning, not making pieces for sale (not quite at that level where I am comfortable selling a pipe for $150+, just trying to recover cost and get enough to buy more wood).

This is why I value this forum and the opinions of the guys/gals on here. I don't post a pipe thinking, 'That should impress them.' Rather, I post it knowing there are flaws to be fixed, improvements to be made, and techniques to be mastered; that is what I rely on the people of this forum for. I don't need someone to tell me my pipes aren't as good as Rad Davis' or Askwith's or Weaver's; I know that much. I need help to get to the next level and improve my work. I will never make better pipes if someone says "Your pipe isn't really good enough to be sold; you need to work on stuff." If I knew what I was doing wrong, I wouldn't be doing it! So, in conclusion of this really superfluous post, thanks to those who make well-thought out and helpful critiques.

I really do appreciate the time and effort people put into critiques of my work. It has helped me improve my skills/talent by leaps and bounds. I know I still have much to learn and work through - I hope I haven't been conveying a different message somehow.

Thanks,
Cory
The Smoking Yeti

Now that I see the pipe you're trying to emulate, that helps me a bit. I think if you try this design again, make sure to take pictures at the same angles as they're product photographer did. Then do a side by side comparison. From what I can tell, their lines are sharper giving the pipe a more "panelled" look to it, which'd be something to focus on. Also, they have a smooth gently arching top line on their pipe, the only dip in it is where the bowl is drilled. I would try to watch that detail, it looks like yours has a less graceful transition at the shank. It isn't as flowing as theirs.

However, I would avoid emulating their design if at all possible. They spelled Briar wrong.

DMI

Post by DMI »

Yes I am being blunt.

You may not like what you are being told but I buy and sell pipes for a living (average 20 per week), you have sold a couple of pipes.

Your pipes have shown little or no improvement despite very specific feedback from several members on the problems, if you want every pipe you post pulled apart then I am more than happy to do so because that is what will happen if you do not take on board what is being said.

Slow down in your production, take more time over shaping, sanding etc. look at the fit of the stem on a basket pipe and compare it to yours.

David.
The Smoking Yeti

DMI, I think the point of this forum is constructive feedback. I personally understand progress can be slow- especially when someone commissions something totally strange. You're doing a great job being blunt, but a poor job being constructively blunt.

Hope this helps.

Cory

Post by Cory »

DMI wrote:Yes I am being blunt.

You may not like what you are being told but I buy and sell pipes for a living (average 20 per week), you have sold a couple of pipes.

Your pipes have shown little or no improvement despite very specific feedback from several members on the problems, if you want every pipe you post pulled apart then I am more than happy to do so because that is what will happen if you do not take on board what is being said.

Slow down in your production, take more time over shaping, sanding etc. look at the fit of the stem on a basket pipe and compare it to yours.

David.
I would be interested in what you have to say. I won't be offended and will consider it a favor if your comments constructive and not you flaming me.

You imply that I am ignoring specific feedback. I feel I have improved in many areas that have been discussed. Could you tell me which areas you feel I have ignored?

And just so you know: being rude and being blunt are different. I understand your approach - trying to cut the BS and weed out those who think they are to good to do things the proper way - but it isn't working here. The only thing it is doing is making me not want to take your advice because it comes off as you being an ass, rather than you being straight to the point. If you used the time you took being 'blunt' and focused more on explaining problems to those who don't understand them (me), things would move along much better. I don't doubt your professional opinion of a pipe, but I do doubt how you are communicating that opinion.

Thanks,
Cory
DMI

Post by DMI »

I am not intentionaly being rude but having read back over the posts I can see your point.

Ok go back to pipes 1,2 &4.
All three have a definate shape, the billiard has stem,shank and shaping issues, the horn looks pretty good with only a slight problem with the shank/stem junction, the sitter again looks pretty good with stem/shank problems.

Has a definate shape, shank/stem pretty good. Sanding marks. Saggy bottom from taking to much off the shank?

The shape is uncertain, the shank has lumps and bumps, shank/stem fit. Sanding marks in several places. Saggy bottom from taking to much off the shank?

Any shaping has been lost to the rustication, the shank tapers to meet the stem which has a lump missing from over sanding. Heavy sanding marks in several places.

Good-ish shape, shanks tapers which continues through the sholder of the stem, stem/shank junction.

Lumpy bowl needs smoothing out, the reflections show flat spots and dips, shank again has dips from over sanding.

You can see the common themes easily, shank/stem junction, shape definition, shank shaping and sanding, these have all been pointed out to you.

If you have a specific 'How do I do this' feel free to PM me and I really am happy to help in anyway I can, I'll try not to use a sledge hammer.

David.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Thanks for the critique David. I think part of the problem is the internet creates a barrier that does not allow tone, inflection, and facial expression/emotion to be related to the opposite party.

All is well. Sent you a PM.