My first Dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

My first Dublin

Post by scotties22 »

Here is my first Bent Dublin. The shank cracked, so the band was necessary...what a bitch that was. The pictures are a little dark (I had to take them inside, we got a little rain this afternoon and my step was wet). I followed the plateaux top for the top of the pipe. I thought that would be okay? I paid more attention to my proportions...think the stem is still a touch too long and I'm not that excited about the bend on it either. Any comments or critiques welcome.

Length: 6 inches
Bowl Height: 2.125 inches
Bowl Width: 2.0625 inches
Chamber: 1 inch, conical (kind of...need to get a tapered bit)
Chamber Debth: 1.625 inches

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

You're on the path to being a sexy pipemaker. Here are my two cents- take more off the back of the bowl, try to get more flow to the whole piece. Also, I do like the partial plateaux on the top of the bowl- however, in a couple spots there isn't enough roughness for it to work, it gives an impression of a ding. Third thing to work on, is your stem finish- you may need to sand up to higher grits before buffing it, I can still see small scratches.

All this aside, you're rockin' this stuff girl! Keep slogging away at this! You're doing great work already! If I may ask- who is this one for?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
The Smoking Yeti

Re: My first Dublin

Ooh, one more thing( I just relooked at the pics) try to maintain symmetry on the top of the bowl, if I recall dublins(even with an oval top) still maintain some symmetry, it looks like the back of the bowl is in too far in comparison to the front. This coupled with the fact that I thought you needed to take more off from the back(due to the side profile) suggests that maybe your bowl is drilled a tetch far back. In the future just try to keep the design centered, nothing big really.

As I said before- keep at it!

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Thanks Yeti. This was a HUGE learning experience for me (And big thanks to DMI for the pointers on this one :thumbsup: ) I saw the scratches while I was taking the pictures. My husband is in the process of getting another circuit out to the garage so I can have some more light....hopefully that will help with catching things before I finish the pipe :lol:. I think I drilled the chamber right and then got it a little far back on the bowl when I tapered it....the dremel got a little wild on me and I had to move it back a touch. I was going to sand the top smooth, but the guy who this is for (One of the fellows over at BoB) asked me to leave the pits. In retrospect I probably should have left the plateaux top on. Oh well, there's always the next one.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

You'r off to a good start. The top of the shank where it meets the bowl could be a bit tighter (ie. more briar removed) and the stem seems to have a slight acute bend in the middle.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Great streak, it's a shame not remove defects edge of the bowl.
I could or would have tried.
Best regards.
Félix

Buenísima veta; es una pena que no elimines los defectos del borde de la cazoleta.
Yo lo hubera intentado.
Saludos.
Félix
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Sottie, this is your best pipe by far. Way to go, girl!

I personally think you got the bend on the stem about right. One note about proportions (and maybe some of the big boys can chime in on this as it has been something I've pondered as well), when you band a pipe it makes it appear that the stem is longer than it actually is because the band looks like it would be part of the stem rather than the stummel. I held up a ruler to the screen and the stem and the stummel on your pipe are roughly in the right ballpark. So my question to the big boys is this: when you band a pipe, does that affect the length you need to make your stem?

Look at this Ashton. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASHTON-XX-PEBBL ... 3f1b3439ee

Nice looking pipe, but the proportions look off to me. I think the bowl is too small, but also, to me the band makes the stummel look way to short.

Awesome pipe Scottie. Was this one made with your new lathe? I can't wait to see your next addition.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

By choice, I would have left the band off. There was a huge flaw in the briar. The shank was actually about an inch longer to begin with. I drilled the mortise and there it was....a huge crack all the way through. I got rid of the crack, but the flaw continued down. I was trying to avoid future issues for the customer. I'm still having trouble making sure that everything is in proportion. Sas broke down a Billiard and that made things click for me.

My lathe is still in the box :evil: . I am waiting on the stand before I can get it set up. I should have everything this week....chucks, tools and stand. I will probably set it up over next weekend. I have some cherry turning stock that I plan on destroying before I put any briar on it. I only have a few pieces of briar left and don't want to mess them up. I think I might get some briar seconds to work with....maybe just 2 or 3 as I am impatient when it comes to playing with new toys :D
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

High five for lathing! I can't wait to see your next pipe!

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Banding a pipe does visually change the required proportions in my opinion (whether it's a big-boy's opinion or not). I've had a few pipes sort of morph on me once the band was on.

Especially a pipe where you have a specific proportion in mind, like say a straight billiard, you have to think in terms of what the band does relative to the shank, and whether it adds to the shank, takes away from shank length, and relatively affects the stem length that way too.

Here's a Bing where I added the band "on top of" the usual billiard proportions, and took a little off the stem to keep the length from being crazy. It adds an elongating sense to the stummel, I think, while keeping the basic billy proportions.

I would say that this pipe:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/d ... t_id=98151

is proportioned less well than this one:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/d ... t_id=98149

but that's hair-splitting stuff.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

PS as to the pipe, that's a good save, it certainly doesn't look odd with the band.

You are improving by leaps and bounds, but taking advice from DMI? I mean, have some standards, woman.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I just figured he would tell me if I suck or not straight out and wouldn't beat around the bush about it :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

These defects are in the cortex and not deep.
Best regards.
Félix

Esos defectos están en la corteza y no son profundos.
Saludos.
Félix
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Really good looking pipe!
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

I am impressed! You have definitely improved, and you're paying real attention to the advice you've received so far. Remaining teachable is the key to mastery! Great job! Keep learning.
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey