Quantity vs Quality

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Re: Quantity vs Quality

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:I think the only answer is a very individual one, that you have to do things the way that's right for you, but that's just my answer. It seems like a topic that might generate some interesting discussion.

So what do you think?
I think you're exactly right, though this may be a better question when put specifically to those who seek to derive income from pipemaking. I don't think that quality and quantity are necessarily at odds though. As you get faster you also get better and (usually) vice versa. Folks like Larry Roush and Tom Eltang have shown that it's possible to do both at the same time and make a decent living in the process. I think that's something worthy of aspiring to.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool thoughts guys.

Being just in it as a hobby, I'm not at all concerned with how fast things go. I'll get done what I get done. I work slowly because I do a better job going slow. Some day I might offer a pipe or two for sale, but I can't imagine ever doing it full time.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Intersting topic! I find that, as I get better, I also get faster. Part of that is because there's less puzzlingover how to do $function or create $shape, but part of it is just being very comfortable with the process.

Most recently I've found that, when get to focus on pipemaking, I can create 2-3 pipes in a single day. I do that by batching some of the construction details so that I don't have to change tooling or shift gears. I could probably do it even faster if I didn't stop to smoke a pipe now and again. :)

If I made a bunch of rusticated pipes, and I had a faster rustication method, I could easily bump that figure up to 5-6 per day.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:You can make 3 pipes a day, it takes me 3 days to make one pipe. It almost sounds like we are engaged in completely different activities.

Either we are in very different places, or compared to me you work like the human Flash. :lol:
I spent a lot of time choosing tooling that would help me work quickly, as well as work accurately. I've had the luxury of being able to experiment with a quite a few different tools, and find methods that take best advantage of that tooling. For instance, I rarely do more than just a basic profile trim on the bandsaw. Instead, I use a belt grinder for that, and then a wheel for finalizing the shape - but my whell bears little resemblence to what I've seen other pipe makers use.

In short, I experimented, a *lot*, until I found a set of tools and methds that allowed me to maintain a standard of excellence while working quickly. You might look in my workshop, an I cold be making furniture in there for all anyone knows (and sometimes I do). That brings up a good point - a large and well equipped shop will allow you more diversity in your innovation. Not everyone has that luxury though, and those folks need to be very careful about the methods they use.

This is especially important when you get into sending your pipes off to retailers - in that case you typically only make about 50% of retail - you *have* to be fast in order to make it worth your while.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

i'm not sure who but it might be Jesper (who could very well comment here) that Karl Eric could bang out 20 pipes before lunch. Certainly Tom Eltang produces pipes in extraordinary quantity and quality.

Personally, although I don't make pipes but leather bags (equally as dangerous 8O ) i have found that neccesity and familiarity breeds speed. I just completed 22 bags in about 2.5 weeks for a special order (I did slice open my thumb in the process in a moment of thoughtlessness, I did something I KNOW I SHOULD NEVER DO, namely check sharpness with my body). Anyway, familiarity breeds speed.

The only other thing I would mention is familiarity and apparently scotch breeds sloppiness and although I don't drink scotch myself a noted pipe maker has taught me this lesson :D )

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:[Hmmm. When I go to the bandsaw I take off bulk; I try not to go closer than 1/8" to what I see as the pipe, and try to stay within 1/4" of it. I shape with a Foredom -- using the right handpieces and the right bits makes a big difference there, it usually takes about half an hour plus think-time to get the basic shape. Think time varies with the piece, for some it's negligible and for others there's some pondering going on.
That's one place where I've found that I could save significant time. It usually only taks me about 15-20 minutes to rough in the pipe shape on the belt grinder. I use a 36 or 60 grit wheel for that (though recently I've been using 120-grit), just to facilitate quick material removal. I don't worry in the least about getting the final shape here. All I want is to get it close enough so that the wheel can take over.

Most of my pondering is done before I even drill. I examine the block, draw a shape on it, and let it grow from there. I keep my options open just in case, but the basic shape will always come through.
I think most of my time is spent on fine shaping and finishing. I do a lot of file-work, and all my sanding is done by hand. I'm still the slowest at finishing because that's an area where I'm still developing skills so there is a good bit of think-time about order of operations and so forth.
I can't recall the last time I used a file on briar. For operations like that, I use a flex-shaft tool with a fast cutting woodcarving bit - one of those structured carbide burrs. I'll usually use a fine grit bit, just to be sure I don't need to do too much sanding in there. "There" is usually the bowl/shank junction.
You use a wheel of some kind for finalizing shape. What happens between that and buffing?
Since my wheel is very configurable (soft or hard backing and grits up to 1200) I find that I don't need to do much between the wheel and the buffer. Once in a while I'll use a piece of 600-grit paper on the pipe while it's stuck ona dowel to clean things up, but that's fairly rare, and usually only done when the shape of the pipe makes using the sanding disk difficult.
What about stems, are you hand-cutting yours? When I make the initial cuts for the bit it usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, I do it with a file and have a tolerance of .002" on wall thickness at the bit. I used to use the Foredom for the initial cut, but found that I was losing a lot of rod that way, it's tough to keep two cuts parallel with a rotary grinder and get the wall thickness down while keeping a .002" tolerance.
Yes and no. On my Countryman pipes I use a molded stem. The mid-grade could get either. The high-grade pipes get only hand-cut stems. Even the factory stems are highly modified, so this does take time. However, I don't shape the stem separately from the pipe, I shape it at the same I'm roughing in the stummel - with the belt grinder, and then fine-tuned with the wheel. It takes nearly no time to di it that way. Maybe a couple seconds. If I need to shape a stem on the lathe, it might take 10 minutes, plus a few seconds with the grinder. I usually use a file on stems just to clean it up with, and to get in those areas where the sander can't reach. I'll also use strips of sandpaper on stems, but only in tight places and next to the button.

Since each one of the stems gets modified in some way, that takes some time investment, but the savings are realized later. For instance, these days I only use delrin tenons. That saves me a huge amount of time in fitting stems to stummels. I also open up the airway considerably - I may have detailed that in another post.

Some stems get a trim ring - in fact, it's rare to see me do a pipe without one these days. That might take time, but more than makes up for it in dollars earned.
Retailers. If you have a $200 pipe they want to give you $100 for it. That means after you take out the $50 or so it cost you for materials, you make $50 and they make $100. Personally I don't think what they do is worth twice as much as what I do. But that's just me, and it's leaning OT.
It's a necessary evil, in my opinion. You need to get your pipes out there and get recognized. If that means taking a small hit on time investment, so be it. I view it as an investment. If people see your name a bunch of places, and then see your table at a show, they might be more likely to buy your stuff - or ask for a custom order.

Just from experience, the custom orders are where the real money is at. The folks that ask for custom work typically know their stuff, and they know what they want, and they're willing to pay for it. Those are the best customers to have.
I'm a lot more interested in learning why there is such a big difference in the time it takes us to make a pipe.
My guess is that it has a lot to do with methodology and tools, but that's just a wild guess.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

kurt

what kind of wheel are you referring to. a grinding wheel and what are the types you use. hard and soft. can you expand on this wheel please

jim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's a 3" diameter wheel from Woodturnerscatalog. It can take thin backings in soft or hard, and thick backings in very soft and somewhat hard. It allows me to do even finish sanding on the wheel, and it makes a surface that is absolutely pristine. I love it.

I think it's called a 3" Artisan Sandig Disc.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:This really makes it sound like we are engaged in different activities. I am good with a Foredom grinder, real good... but not near good enough to do the kind of work with it that I do with files. Files are not for taking off bulk as I see things, they are for surface planing and fine tweaking. I guess you either make your panel stems and shanks on the disk or don't make them at all?
For paneled pipes I set myself up with a 120-grit belt on the grinder and ge the shape as close as I can, then I setup my wheel with no backing pad so that it's got a firm surface, and finish up there. I can into some pretty places with my wheel, since it's only a 3" diameter wheel.

If you're doing all your pre-buffer finishing with a wheel, as it sounds like you are, it limits you to areas that can be worked with the wheel... what, 8" or 9" diameter? Lots of outside curves or fairly straight areas?
3" diameter, with a cone profile to facilitate getting into tight areas. I also use special discs that are designed to wrap around the outside edge of the wheel. That lets me shape with the edge of the wheel, and get into tight places.
You have several grades of pipes on your site, I'm curious about that. How does that work? Do you set out to make some as "high-grades" and others not? Or do you just make pipes then sort them based on how they come out? I just make pipes and price them based on how they come out all in a single grade.
Different grades of briar and different finishes. I set out to make every pipe as high a quality as I can muster from my materials and skills. However, with the lower grade, I usually just grab a block of ebauchon and make a typical catalog shape - billiard, apple, etc. Those get made quickly, very quickly, since the most I can get for one of those is around $100. As a result, they're always rusticated. The difference between the mid-grade and the upper grade is the grain and the finer details. In a few weeks when I have my sandblasting setup, I'll add sandblast to the mid-grade line, but for now they're smooth pipes.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

As a newbie to pipe making, I found this thread to be extremely helpful in understanding the process of pipemaking. Thanks for your insights.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com