Magnum Squashed Tomato

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Magnum Squashed Tomato

Post by Growley »

Hey guys, I wanted to share some pics of this pipe with you for a couple of reasons, 1.The grain is AMAZING (something I can't take credit for) and 2. I learned something pretty cool on this one.

This pipe was a commission. I saw the request for this one originally on another forum, but passed on it because he stated that he wanted a large pipe. I don't typically like to make large pipes. But, when he came to me directly and asked me to make it for him I decided to give it a go.

Initially he wanted this rusticated on the bottom like another pipe he had seen before. I was fine with that because I figured with half of it rusticated I had a better chance of finishing the pipe, meaning that for at least half of the pipe, pits didn't matter so much. Well, as I got sanding on this I could tell the grain was really good. This is where I had to pause. "Do I tell go ahead and just make it they way he wanted it, or do I give him the chance to have a much more 'valuable' pipe at the risk of producing a pipe that really didn't fit his vision?"

I chose the later. I let the customer know that what I was looking at was some amazing grain and that my opinion was that it should be left smooth. I also added that I'd be happy to complete the pipe either smooth or rusticated because my main goal was to make a pipe he was really happy with. He said that he appreciated my professional approach by letting him know, and said that he'd buy this one smooth and commission me to make him another that was rusticated :shock:. So, it was worth asking.

Take a look.

Brian.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: Magnum Squashed Tomato

Post by jogilli »

Your right.. the grain is great... and at least the customer decided... I had a comission that I considered quite ugly but they guy loved it... nothing mathed... from his mouthpiece to the shape...

anyway.. it's your thread... I particuallary like the mouthpiece you chose... it looks like a pushin from one angle...

james
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Gorgeous grain, and great job! Beautiful pipe and I tend to like large pipes as I am not much of a "clencher."
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Great pipe Brian!
Love both the shape and the grain!
taharris

Post by taharris »

Well, that turned out nice!

Todd
LordGreenskull

Post by LordGreenskull »

Amazing grain indeed! A customer is always right with commissioned work but as the maker you have the eye and artistic know how to point out something that could be better than the agreed design. Top stuff, glad you did! Plus another rusticated pipe on order, it's a win win for you and your customer! Thanks for sharing.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I think that one deserves a victory lap; congratulations!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I really like this one. Very nice job Brian. As a noob, there are certain pipes on here from time to time that catch my eye and that I find myself studying intently, with the intention of really learning and gleaning inspiration from. This is definitely one of them.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
the rev

Post by the rev »

wow, that pipe is just stunning, the grain is amazing, and I love the overall feel of the shape. I would love to have this pipe, would love even more to say I made it...

I think I will

Hey everyone, I made that pipe, isn't it beautiful

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Whoa. Love the birdseye. That's the kind of stuff I could get lost in.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard