Introduction

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Raven LeBlanc

Introduction

Post by Raven LeBlanc »

Hello all, I would like to introduce myself. I am James Tyler Cauthen, firstborn of the union of the late Robert Leon Cauthen and Tracy Michele Williams. I have been pipe making for about six months. I have lived in Tennessee all of my life, and my pipes are made from hardwoods that I cut and process myself from my back yard. I look forward to the scenarios and knowledge gained as a result of being a part of this forum. As a forewarning, I can't spell for beans.
wmolaw

Re: Introduction

Post by wmolaw »

Raven LeBlanc wrote:Hello all, I would like to introduce myself. I am James Tyler Cauthen, firstborn of the union of the late Robert Leon Cauthen and Tracy Michele Williams. I have been pipe making for about six months. I have lived in Tennessee all of my life, and my pipes are made from hardwoods that I cut and process myself from my back yard. I look forward to the scenarios and knowledge gained as a result of being a part of this forum. As a forewarning, I can't spell for beans.
Purchased a bunch of cherry (several different sorts), some hickory and some lemonwood, among others to try making some, but haven't gotten around to it yet. May give it a shot once I have some free time.

Seems to me the finishing part may be the toughest, to pull out what grain there is. Would love your ideas on how to do that!

Is it all from your back yard?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

A fellow Tennessean. :clap:
I don't know about you, but I'm a hillbilly and a pipemaker. I don't use hardwoods from the back 40, but get mine from Italy.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

baweaverpipes wrote:A fellow Tennessean. :clap:
I don't know about you, but I'm a hillbilly and a pipemaker. I don't use hardwoods from the back 40, but get mine from Italy.
I'm guessing that getting your blocks from Italy makes you a "high falootin" hillbilly instead of just a regular one?

Welcome to the boards Raven
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

As another Tennessean born and bred (225 years worth), I can tell you some of us are not hillbillies. Those of us who have higher degrees become HillWilliams. Basically just means your overalls are usually free of extra holes and you drink your 'shine with your pinky stuck out. :wink: