Big Billiard - first lathe use

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Massis

Big Billiard - first lathe use

Post by Massis »

As always, don't go easy on me, I'm here to learn! (and boy is there lots left to learn...)

This one is my first go with help of a lathe, used to turn my first integral tenon, round the shoulder on the stem, drill the holes and to round the top of the stummel.

The rest is as usual shaped with a sanding disk and lots of hand sanding / filing.

The tenon didn't really turn out the way I wanted. I accidently added a small notch near the face of the stem and had to chuck the stem in by the tenon to turn the shoulder because I forgot to do that first, which resulted in 2 dents in my tenon. Fits perfectly in the mortise though.

I might touch up the end of the mortise because it's not really pretty, but I'm afraid I'll mess up the stem/mortise connection again, so I've left it as is for now.

Grtz

Massis
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Big Billiard - first lathe use

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

More pictures
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Massis

Post by Massis »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:More pictures
Of? The table? My pinky toe? Just ask and ill shoot (most things...)
andrew

Post by andrew »

Congratulations on using the lathe! It's a good pot shape. The shank diameter matches the height well. I'd probably rusticate the entire thing, partial rustication... meh. It would look good with the rustication you used.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

andrew wrote:Congratulations on using the lathe! It's a good pot shape. The shank diameter matches the height well. I'd probably rusticate the entire thing, partial rustication... meh. It would look good with the rustication you used.
Given some posts in another thread re: "newbie" commenting on pipes, would preface this post with I don't know shit.

Now, having said that, great first pipe with the lathe! Really changes one's outlook, doesn't it?

I also agree about partial rustication. Just a personal preference, but have never liked it. Always seemed as if the pipe maker was trying to hide flaws, but didn't want to take the time to rusticate the entire stummel.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad for a first lathe turned pipe. The biggest thing that I see that needs improved is that you need a couple degree forward cant of the bowl in relation to the shank. I'd partially agree with the others about the rustication. Partial rustication works so long as it doesn't look staged. I really like the partial rustication up the back of the bowl but the rustication on the side of the shank look too contrived to me. Had you rusticated the entire bottom and shank, I think it would have looked better. Partial rustication is tough to pull off, IMHO. The stem work looks wavy in the profile pic. Not sure what advice to give there except practice. Making nice handmade stems takes time and practice. I still screw them up from time to time. Keep up the good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

I can relate to your opinions on partial rustication. However, I'd like to state my reasons. It's not that I'm too lazy for a full rustication, I just aim for a complete smooth pipe but my current wood supply won't let me :-)
But seeing as some parts have really nice grain, I really want to keep them in for now. This is also the only way for me to practice staining. There's not much use staining a complete pipe if you're going to fully rusticate it afterwards.
Later on, when I start working with top notch wood with fewer sandpits, I'll probably start completely rusticating the lesser pipes.

For now, I just try to do something a bit artsy, like on this one I tried to make it look like a flame following the airway.

About the canting of the bowl: I agree, it could use a bit more canting forwards (or is that backwards for your?)

To my surprise - this one is the first one I've offered for sale publicly - I already have a buyer and a second one should the first one change his mind. I'm asking €85 (110 USD) including shipping for it. Really stoked, as I need the money for more acrylic rod as I've ran out...