Smoking one of my own, question.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Smoking one of my own, question.

Post by bscofield »

I smoking one of my own pipes (the one I called "heritage") so I am being more critical and purposefuly noticing paying more attention to how it smokes. It is obviously still in the break-in as I have only smoked it 4-5 times now. The first few times I smoked it, I was paying special attention to the walls of the bowl and their temperature because they are not ultra thin, but I was curious as to how hot they got. Well I was stoked during the first and second smokes to find out that the bowl was WAY cool the whole down. Now that I'm into 4th or 5th smoke i'm noticing that it is a little hotter. What's up with that? I'm not burnin' out, am I? Wood still adjusting to the heat distribution? Since I'm smoking this as I type, I'm noticing that it's considerably cooler than it was 5 minutes ago when I thought about making this post. Any ideas?
marks

Post by marks »

You probably got excited about how good it was smoking, and just puffed too hard :D

Seriously though, you said it was a little hotter. Doubt that is burn out. If it was in the process of burning out, you would probably taste it as well, or so I've been told.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Ben,

Do you normally smoke hot or cool? I smoke hot when I am not paying attention but very cool when I am paying attention. I do quite a bit of testing of my pipes (both those I made and others that I bought) so I have to practice smoking consistantly when ever I am testing a pipe.

Did you smoke tha same tobacco all 4 -5 times?

It might just be the amount that you are resting the wood between smokes. According to R.D. Field, briar that was harvested young will smoke well in the beginning and then get worse as the moisture and tars build up in it. He attributes this to the idea that the wood is more absorbent then the older wood.

Please let me know how it progresses.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

brendhain, well I have only smoked 2 different tobaccos. But I had noticed a coolness to both sorts. I have been waiting around 3-4 days in between smokes. I am usually paying attention to my smoke, going slow, doing a proper break-in (the best I know how) because i'm purposely testing my own briar. I'll let you know how I progress with it. Like I said yesterday the temps went down as rapidly as they snuck up on me, which was odd. Perhaps I *DID* begin to smoke too fast and didn't realize it (afterall I was working on another pipe).
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have found that my pipes smoke hotter when I breath smoke, or when I just have the pipe hanging out of my mouth while working on something else. If I sit down to watch TV or read, then my pipes smoke cooler. This is, no doubt, due to the frequency of puffs, the amount puffed, and the fact that I take deep breaths (when breath smoking).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

After a few more careful smokes, while paying attention, my worries have been calmed. Smokes as cool as it did the first time I smoked 'er.