First Cherrywood and Blowfish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
guirguispipes

First Cherrywood and Blowfish

Post by guirguispipes »

Hello all,

Started pipe making almost a year ago now, and was active in the forums under a different username. I wish I had kept up with posting pictures of my finished pipes, but I will strive to do that from now on. The wealth of knowledge and generosity on this forum is invaluable to a new pipe maker. I only get around to making about 1 - 2 pipes per month, but every time I do it is a great learning experience whether its due to failure or success. Anyway, below are two pipes I finished recently. I wont bother commenting on them myself but if anyone has any questions or comments please have at it.

P.S. I would be willing to entertain offers if anyone is interested, as I think I would like to try to sell these. I can provide more and better pictures if desired.

Cherrywood with Blackwood and Lignum Vitae shank extension

IMG_1010 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_4502 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_4640 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_3200 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

And the Blowfish with a Cocobolo and Vegetable Ivory shank extension

IMG_5011 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_7704 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_2625 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_9269 by Aladriforge, on Flickr

IMG_0489 by Aladriforge, on Flickr
Ocelot55

Re: First Cherrywood and Blowfish

Post by Ocelot55 »

You've definitely got some talent. Those both look like pretty cool pipes.

I can't give a whole lot of critique, but I will mention that on the cherrywood it bothers my eye that the tobacco chamber doesn't have equal wall thickness all the way around.

The blowfish looks pretty sweet. I might suggest that the wooden ring in front of the white acrylic blends into the stummel so much that it's hard to see. I think something with a bit more contrast with the stummel would have worked better.

Great looking pipes, though. I am eager to see your next addition.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I think your staining is really appealing
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Nice workmanship. I agree with the off-center bowl situation. Perhaps that is the path the briar took you. Now this is just me talking but to my eye the double flare of the shank extension and the flare in the stem is not quite right. I compare to the blowfish which (again to my eye) looks more pleasing with the short straight shank and the single flair of the stem.
I look forward to seeing more.
Chas.
guirguispipes

Post by guirguispipes »

oklahoma red wrote:Now this is just me talking but to my eye the double flare of the shank extension and the flare in the stem is not quite right.
I agree with you there. I was actually using my last standared tapered stem for this pipe and then I accidentally broke the tenon while turning it on the lathe :banghead:.

Thanks for the compliments and comments guys!