Mad Dog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
d.huber

Mad Dog

Post by d.huber »

Before you guys rip it to shreds, let me just say that, on this pipe, I learned that you shouldn't drill a guide hole before using a ground down spade bit. That is all.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NKnFNZ ... re=g-all-u

http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
potholer

Re: Mad Dog

Post by potholer »

fwiw i love the pipe

but man those gnarly hillbilly gloves need a shave :lol:

regards

dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Lol! Thanks!

The most frequent comment I've received so far from just about everyone who's seen the video is, "Get new gloves." ;)

-Tyler Beard
Jos

Post by Jos »

I second the point about the gloves. Love the shape, though. Nice wood and finish, too. Pity about the tobacco chamber ...

Jens
The Drinking Yeti

Post by The Drinking Yeti »

You have something going there, bummer about the bowl
Redo it and make it perfect if it bothers you. That, in my
opinion, is the beauty of woodworking. You can just start
from scratch until it is perfect.

p.s. I like that design a lot
Rev says, "holy shit that is bitchen"
Nate

Post by Nate »

Whoa.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks, guys!

DY: Too true. I'd already sunk close to 40 hrs into this puppy and sinking any more would've just been a mild form of torture. I've had a lot of people express how much they like this little guy and, despite the amount of time that went into it, I'm pretty sure I'll revisit it if the right block comes up. And next time, I'll drill the chamber correctly! :P

Nate: I'm gonna assume that's a good "Whoa," and not a "Whoa, that's the most horrendous thing I've ever seen." ;)

Sold this puppy as a second to a guy over at BoB.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks again for the responses so far. It's been a few days since the OP, so I thought I'd reach out and ask again for some blunt critique. I know this pipe isn't perfect and would love to hear any and all improvements, no matter how small, that could have made this pipe better.

-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The only thing I can really think of is how thin the bit around the slot is.
sam a

Post by sam a »

UberHuberMan wrote:Thanks again for the responses so far. It's been a few days since the OP, so I thought I'd reach out and ask again for some blunt critique. I know this pipe isn't perfect and would love to hear any and all improvements, no matter how small, that could have made this pipe better.

well i guess i'll speak up... you already knew about my objection to the shank/stem bendy dip... and although it looks less bad now than it did before, i think it's still awkward and clumsy looking. i also think the button is too small, from some angles it almost looks as though it's not there. and it looks like it could have been sanded better (unless those are smudges and not scratches in the pics.) as for the chamber... i turn around for 5 freakin' min, and sheesh :wink:
the rev

Post by the rev »

ummmm, can you explain the shank/stem bendy bit? I don't see what you are talking about. The shank and stem are pretty cool to me.

I am not arguing, I want to learn, my eyes are a sponge :)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sam a wrote:well i guess i'll speak up... you already knew about my objection to the shank/stem bendy dip... and although it looks less bad now than it did before, i think it's still awkward and clumsy looking. i also think the button is too small, from some angles it almost looks as though it's not there. and it looks like it could have been sanded better (unless those are smudges and not scratches in the pics.) as for the chamber... i turn around for 5 freakin' min, and sheesh :wink:
Lol! Too true. ;)

There are still some micro scratches in the stem. :filth-n-foul:

However, the saddle is scratch free. I discovered this for sure when I took the pipe back to a dry buff and found that the saddle of the stem became blacker and shone like a mirror. That was the first time I got an "ooooh. Maybe stem work isn't so bad" feeling. Good catch!

Might be too early to call consensus, but it sounds like the button may be too small. Anyone else in agreement on that one?

-Tyler Beard
sam a

Post by sam a »

the rev wrote:ummmm, can you explain the shank/stem bendy bit? I don't see what you are talking about. The shank and stem are pretty cool to me.

rev
i'll try, although explaining over the internet ain't my strong suit. at about the halfway point of the shank it goes from curving upward to downward and continues on that trajectory till the saddle, and then after the saddle the bend changes again and the rest of the stem is less bent . simply put, it's not pleasing to my eye. kinda like it lost steam and started drooping halfway and then straightened out a tad.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sam a wrote:
the rev wrote:ummmm, can you explain the shank/stem bendy bit? I don't see what you are talking about. The shank and stem are pretty cool to me.

rev
i'll try, although explaining over the internet ain't my strong suit. at about the halfway point of the shank it goes from curving upward to downward and continues on that trajectory till the saddle, and then after the saddle the bend changes again and the rest of the stem is less bent . simply put, it's not pleasing to my eye. kinda like it lost steam and started drooping halfway and then straightened out a tad.
Good explanation! I'll hop in and attempt to clarify with an image since you alliterated this to me in person and I think I understood your points pretty clearly.

I think this is the kind of thing that Sam is suggesting. Correct me if I'm wrong and please forgive the crude illustration. :P

For easy comparison:

-Tyler Beard