Fun Project

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pierredekat

Fun Project

Post by pierredekat »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.

Sorry I haven't been around as much as I would have liked, but I have been really busy with various projects, and there are just never enough hours in the day to do everything I would like to do.

I wanted to tell y'all about a fun project I am just finishing up for a friend of mine in France.

A month or so ago he asked me if I had any new pipes that hadn't hit my website yet, and I sent him a few photos of three or four that I hadn't had a chance to put up yet.

I also told him I do commissions, and that if he told me what kind of pipe he was looking for, I would do my best to make it for him.

He had some reservations about committing to a pipe that hadn't been made yet, but I assured him that he didn't have to commit to anything until he saw pictures of the finished pipe and he was sure he wanted me to ship it out to him.

A couple days passed, and he sent me a photo, where he took bits and pieces of this pipe photo here, this pipe photo here, and this pipe photo here, and Photoshopped them into the single pipe you see here below.

I must say, I am really impressed with his Photoshopping skills. He even managed to stretch out the stem without having it look all lumpy and crooked.

So I did a drawing on TurboCAD based on his Photoshopped pipe, we kicked it back and forth a couple times, and we finally agreed on this drawing right here in .pdf format.

I started in working on it a couple weeks later, and this is what I came up with.

My friend in France went ahead and committed to the pipe, once he saw the pictures, and I am getting it ready to ship it out to him tomorrow.

In fact, he seems to be nearly as excited about the pipe that I made for him as I was impressed that he took the time to Photoshop photos of three of my pipes into the pipe of his dreams.

Hopefully he will continue Photoshopping and send me some more designs when he comes up with a few more that he likes.
the rev

Re: Fun Project

Post by the rev »

I really love the shape of that pipe. Not a big fan of the rustication, but admire the precision that was put into it. What a great story, and love the involvement of the customer. Good job brother.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

the rev wrote:I really love the shape of that pipe. Not a big fan of the rustication, but admire the precision that was put into it. What a great story, and love the involvement of the customer. Good job brother.

rev
Thanks.

Yeah, the rustication is kindof a matter of taste, I guess. Some guys seem to really like it, and other guys are not big fans.

When I look at this rustication in black, I see wrought iron, and when I look at it in a reddish brown, I see lava rock.

But other guys might look at this rustication and see some kind of rotting corpse type deal or whatever.

It's funny how two people can look at the exact same thing but see very different things.
the rev

Post by the rev »

thats so funny I think of golf balls :)

Please hear me though, I really love that pipe, it is beautiful

rev

AldenW

Post by AldenW »

This is one of my favorites. Just unique enough, just long and sleek enough, and I am a fan of that rustication.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

the rev wrote:thats so funny I think of golf balls :)
That is funny.

You know, I need to try making one in white. I bet there's probably a really big crowd of golf enthusiasts I could tap into who might not have been interested in one of my pipes otherwise. :D
AldenW wrote:This is one of my favorites. Just unique enough, just long and sleek enough, and I am a fan of that rustication.
Well, thank you very much, AldenW. :D
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The rustication is very interesting to me. I see what you mean by wrought iron. Good work for sure!

I do a lot of commission work too, and I personally love the process. The pipe I'm working on started as just some rough sketch amongst ten others, the client saw it and was like "I like X Y and Z in this, let's flesh it out a bit". We bounced concepts back and forth, made changes, and came up with a design. It's turning out pretty awesome, and I just love the process of custom tailoring a pipe.

Good stuff! Keep it up man!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Good to hear from you again!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Wow. You almost can't tell the photoshop version from the real one! Great job creating that pipe from an image.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
waznyf

Fun Project

Post by waznyf »

Extremely impressed by both of you. Well done.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks, guys. :D
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

pierredekat wrote: Well, thank you very much, AldenW. :D
Don't toss those plans! Maybe someday I'll be able to afford one of my own... :P
Last edited by AldenW on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

AldenW wrote:Don't toss those plans! Maybe someday I'll be able to afford one of my own... :P
I'll have to run it by my friend, since it's his design. If he says, "yes", I would be tickled to death to hook you up with one.
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

pierredekat wrote: I'll have to run it by my friend, since it's his design. If he says, "yes", I would be tickled to death to hook you up with one.
Haha, I appreciate it, but don't stress it. I'm just joking around; I'm a musician. It'll be a good many years before I have that kind of expendable income. :P
Keep posting pictures of gorgeous pipes though, that'll keep me happy!
the rev

Post by the rev »

you are a musician, you should have lots of expendable income, Bono can buy everything in the world and he is a musician.

rev

AldenW

Post by AldenW »

the rev wrote:you are a musician, you should have lots of expendable income, Bono can buy everything in the world and he is a musician.

rev
You know, you're right! I'm gonna write ASCAP a stern letter asking why I'm not as rich as Bono yet! It doesn't seem fair...