Bulldog? Rodesian? My 20th

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sokolik

Post by Sokolik »

L=140 mm, H=38 mm, Chamber - 19x30 mm
waznyf

Post by waznyf »

Squat bulldog is what I see. According to Brian Levine, a bulldog has the two distinctive horizontal lines going around the bowl and has a diamond shank. Based on these specifications I'd say that due to the squat bowl that it is indeed a squat bulldog.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
maxmil

Re: Bulldog? Rodesian? My 20th

Post by maxmil »

Beautiful Rhodesian.
Best regards.
Félix

Bonita Rhodesian.
Saludos.
Félix
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool work bro! I'd drop the shank line as it comes into the bowl, the transition could use a bit of work there. It also looks like the bowl is tipping backwards (perhaps due to the aforementioned transition?) a bit. Maybe a little bit more bend on the stem would help too? Only other thing is the stem/shank junction. But for 20, pretty nice, keep it up!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's a nice concept, good pipe.

Two issues - one is major, and easy to fix. The other is minor, harder to fix!

First, the yellow line shows a smooth curve on the bottom - your pipe shows some deviation, some "fat" hanging down. This makes it look lumpy. Trim that up!

The red arrows indicate a slight asymmetry in the left/right curves where the shank joins the bowl.

But .... that's a good #20!

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sokolik

Post by Sokolik »

Thank you, Nate. Thank you, Sasquatch.

yes. You are right.....

It was my first "bulldog". I hope, next will be easier to do.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

They get easier, but they are a pain in the ass always!
Sokolik

Post by Sokolik »

:D :D :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

waznyf wrote:Squat bulldog is what I see. According to Brian Levine, a bulldog has the two distinctive horizontal lines going around the bowl and has a diamond shank. Based on these specifications I'd say that due to the squat bowl that it is indeed a squat bulldog.

There is another camp (the Italians maybe?) that differentiates the bulldog from a rhodesian by how tall the top half of the bowl is with a bulldog being tall and a rhodesian being squat. With this definition, the shank shape doesn't seem to matter. For example, I have a Ser Jacopo with a round shank and tall top half of the bowl that is stamped 'bulldog.'
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
waznyf

Post by waznyf »

wdteipen wrote:
waznyf wrote:Squat bulldog is what I see. According to Brian Levine, a bulldog has the two distinctive horizontal lines going around the bowl and has a diamond shank. Based on these specifications I'd say that due to the squat bowl that it is indeed a squat bulldog.

There is another camp (the Italians maybe?) that differentiates the bulldog from a rhodesian by how tall the top half of the bowl is with a bulldog being tall and a rhodesian being squat. With this definition, the shank shape doesn't seem to matter. For example, I have a Ser Jacopo with a round shank and tall top half of the bowl that is stamped 'bulldog.'
That is interesting. While I can see their reasoning behind it, it doesn't make sense because there are such things as squat bulldogs. So if anything that resembles a bulldog and is squat is named rhodesian than what do we name pipes that are actually squat bulldogs?! Not Rhodesian lol :)
Who knows though. It really depends on what the pipe maker sees when he is done right?

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

waznyf wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

That is interesting. While I can see their reasoning behind it, it doesn't make sense because there are such things as squat bulldogs. So if anything that resembles a bulldog and is squat is named rhodesian than what do we name pipes that are actually squat bulldogs?! Not Rhodesian lol :)
Who knows though. It really depends on what the pipe maker sees when he is done right?

Well, for the folks that believe the Rhodesian and bulldog are based on the bowl shape, there is no such thing as a squat bulldog. A squat bulldog to them is more accurately named a Rhodesian. I'm not saying one group is right over the other. I'm just pointing it out. It seems, at some point, the shape interpretations split with one group (maybe English?) defining the shapes by the shank and the other group (maybe Italians?) defining the shapes by the bowl. The shank group obviously came up with the 'squat bulldog' descriptor.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

By that reasoning, is this a bulldog then? Cuz it's not what most people would call a bulldog....

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

It's not what most people would call a rhodesian either.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Damn.

It's a BullSquatch I guess.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

You have a weird "dog" sas.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/