Copycat Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Copycat Pipe

Post by Alden »

Well a friend of mine wanted a copy of this pipe;

But I hoped to make one a little classier, so I made him this;
the rev

Re: Copycat Pipe

Post by the rev »

isn't it wonderful when you are able to accomplish exactly what you set out to? Congrats brother, it is very well executed.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nice copy. I think it looks a good deal better than the original. IMO, it could've been improved even more if the lines of the shank were straightened out or flared out and you'd gotten rid of the stem flares. The stain looks a good deal darker on the rim than on the rest of the pipe. I can only assume this was intentional. When ya gots ta make a copy, you gots ta make a copy and you did that exceedingly well. Nice job. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Leus

Post by Leus »

Outstanding job. I would have been tempted to "improve" it (don't like the stem at all!)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice replica. It's pretty close to the original. Your shank extension is a bit shorter but your pipe is definitely nicer than the original; especially the quality and orientation of the briar. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wdteipen wrote:Very nice replica. It's pretty close to the original. Your shank extension is a bit shorter but your pipe is definitely nicer than the original; especially the quality and orientation of the briar. Nice job.
+1

I think the stem is a tad too long, though.
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

That is good copy and more,,, good job man...
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I like your's better.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nice work. A great copy for sure.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Great craftsmanship on your part. But to me it looks like a stem in search of a pipe, or vice versa. Just saying.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Most of what is pointed out are design changes I agree with, but in the end its not my pipe but the customers. I sent sketches of 5 different designs for the stem, but in the end he insisted the only change he wanted was a bit more length and plateaux top instead of the wavy carving on the original.
I felt like the proportions were off in the original so I tweaked it a bit by making the shank a touch shorter and the stem a bit longer.
The final length of the pipe is 7" I think it has a bit of short churchwarden/hobbity feel to it and I ended up liking the pipe much more than I thought I would.
This pipe is the first I've done with speed being a top priority. I decided thats the most important thing I need to work on, because spending 4 or 5 days on one pipe is not an option if I want to ever make a profit ! I realize the shaping is not as crisp as some of my other pipes, but I am lowering the prices I ask and focusing on speed. This pipe was basically 2 days work, pretty crappy compared to most guys here, but an accomplishment for me !
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Like all others; great copy!

I for sure do not like the original, yours is way better...even if I think your "own" pipes are more beautiful! :D