Pipe #17- Old Took

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
The Smoking Yeti

Pipe #17- Old Took

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The guy who commissioned this agreed on rusticated, with a smooth rim- then he backed out and said he wanted it all smooth... after I deeply rusticated. So yeah, this one is for sale.

My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
d.huber

Re: Pipe #17- Old Took

Post by d.huber »

This one isn't my personal cup of tea, but you clearly did a really nice job finishing this one, despite your customer backing out on it. :P

Mad respect for taking the rustication all the way to the end of the shank. Unless I'm wrong, it does look like the stem face peeks over the rustication, though.

Nice job!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Me Tarzan

Post by Me Tarzan »

I like it a lot. Zulu? How much you asking? I am not really looking but I may be interested. PM if you prefer.
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

Love the rustication. I think the old Took would've been proud to puff this on a warm evening in the Shire.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

AldenW wrote:Love the rustication. I think the old Took would've been proud to puff this on a warm evening in the Shire.
Agreed.

But we Proudfeet prefer a deeper bend. One thing on this pipe and it shows up on really "simple" shape like this: There's a tendency as you work the stem, and maybe you had it tapered more (and it gets flattened as you sand to the shank size), or maybe not, and it was always a "straight" sort of stem, but on this type of curve, it looks a little fat, a little heavy from the 45 degree angle. If you cut a little more material out of the stem, you get a slightly lighter, slightly curvier look, thus:

And I'm the king of not seeing this until I take pics of my own pipes.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Sas- I see it now. I'll be more aware with the next stem I shape. Thanks a ton! :)
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Really nice!
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Great advice, Sas! I'll be sure to think about that on my future work as well!

Best regards, Jon