Introduction + a couple questions

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ajpl

Introduction + a couple questions

Post by ajpl »

I've been smoking pipes for about four years now and recently caught the pipe-crafting bug after stumbling across a few articles on the subject (like this one, which makes it sound suspiciously easy). I picked up the PIMO book and found this exceptionally awesome website, and I think I'm about ready to dive in and get my hands dirty!

But first, a couple questions:
1) where do you fine folks purchase your briar (or maybe a better question, where are the best places to buy briar for a complete and total newbie)?
2) as someone on a budget, what are the essential tools to pick up? I think I can afford to put a drill press on credit, but if I don't, what will I need to make a hand-held power drill do the job?

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to getting started!
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."
the rev

Re: Introduction + a couple questions

Post by the rev »

my suggestion buy a pipe kit from Mark Tinsky, get a dremel tool, a sanding disk, sandpaper, some files and buffers. Learn to shape first, then if you still are loving it go buy some big equipment

I say that because that is what I am doing

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Oh, I suspect that if you ask twenty different guys/gals you will get twenty different answers. Me, I would say go first with an inexpensive midi wood lathe like the Rikon. It allows you to drill (better than with a press), shape, buff, etc., etc., etc. And, if you find you get bored with making pipes, you can make a million other things!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Buy some kits first and a couple hand tools. You can drown in learning to use tools properly at first. It's more fun to shape a pipe. Plus, the kits will take quite a bit of the stress out of the mechanics of the pipe making experience.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

andrew wrote:Buy some kits first and a couple hand tools. You can drown in learning to use tools properly at first. It's more fun to shape a pipe. Plus, the kits will take quite a bit of the stress out of the mechanics of the pipe making experience.
Agree.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

Go with a kit. You might make a pipe or two and realize that while it was fun, it's not for you. If this happens you're not up to you eyeballs in debt for machines you don't really need anymore.

If the bug bites you harder, then you can start getting some tools to help you make pipes from the ground up.

From a financial perspective, unless you're a natural genius, pipe making won't pay off tools very quickly. So don't get caught up in trying to pay off tools by selling pipes. It will take forever and add stress that will ruin your pipe making experience.

You can do a lot with a Dremel, a vice and a drill, all of which are pretty cheap.

...But go with a kit. :D
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Don't buy any big tools on credit or anything. Buy some kits, if you ask certain makers nicely they will drill a kit to your design. After that get some rasps and files, sandpaper and maybe a dremel if you can afford it. Have at it. After you have made a dozen or so like this then re-evaluate.

If you have any pipemakers near you ask them about a visit to their shops.
ajpl

Post by ajpl »

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely look into buying a kit or two to start out with.

However, I've found several new / barely used drill presses on craigslist in my area for around $50, which seems ridiculously cheap considering I'd pay that much for a pair of briar kits anyway. For that price would it be worth picking one of them up?
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."
the rev

Post by the rev »

well then you have to buy the briar, you have to buy the proper tools, bits ect, and the drill press needs to be good enough to actually do the work. A tiny drill press with not much travel will only let you drill tiny pipes. You also need to have a good vise. I would make at least a kit or two first.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course