121104 - Billiard 8th Bent

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bandkbrooks

121104 - Billiard 8th Bent

Post by bandkbrooks »

The billiard quest continues. The white ring is either elk or deer horn. My pictures are terrible so my apologies.

Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Sasquatch

Re: 121104 - Billiard 8th Bent

Post by Sasquatch »

The finish being really uneven caught my eye. "Is that a fill?" "Is THAT a fill too?" Wait, that can't all be fills.

So get more shiny in the non-shiny areas.

The basic shape is nice, the basic proportions not. Really a tall, thin bowl, and the shank is fat, especially so at the stem/shank transition. I plotted a couple of slow curves top and bottom on the stem and "topped" the bowl, and I'd suggest that the result is more eye-pleasing for proportions (but shows that the basic cut of the stummel isn't far off).

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Thank you sir. Actually the bowl isn't briar, it is all fills. I ran out of wood so the whole thing is made out of putty. :lol:

The curves you show definitely help. Are you recommending that the taper goes all the way from the bowl shank junction to the end of the stem?
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The taper situation depends on what you want the pipe to look like. If you taper the shank a lot, you'll get a Castello sort of look, if you don't taper the shank much/any you'll get a Dunhill sort of look.

The lines I popped on there just show that the area where the stem hits the shank is too thick for the current shank and the big band on the stem only accentuates this. Visually, that is the dominant area of the pipe and it shouldn't be if you are trying to cut an ordinary billiard.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!