Perfect lathe for SAS

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
DMI

Perfect lathe for SAS

Post by DMI »

Seeing as he like making BIG pipes I thought this would do for SAS, not sure about the shipping though. :lol:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/heavy ... 1006190061

David
wmolaw

Re: Perfect lathe for SAS

Post by wmolaw »

DMI wrote:Seeing as he like making BIG pipes I thought this would do for SAS, not sure about the shipping though. :lol:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/heavy ... 1006190061

David
I was thinking of something along these lines.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=474
Duane

Post by Duane »

Thanks for the information, but I don't use a lathe....nor am I permitted to use sharp objects like pens and pencils! :)

Duane
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

wmolaw wrote:

That's a metal lathe, eh?
This is more like it=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEO43Zo6CbY
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

JonBood wrote:
wmolaw wrote:

That's a metal lathe, eh?
This is more like it=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEO43Zo6CbY
Yeah, you're right, that's a big ass pipe he's working on! Imagine the stem.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't get no respect.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Sasquatch wrote:I don't get no respect.
Dost thou deserve any?

Just asking.
Cory

Post by Cory »

wmolaw wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:I don't get no respect.
Dost thou deserve any?

Just asking.
Canadian problems.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Duane

Post by Duane »

Last edited by Duane on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duane

Post by Duane »

Last edited by Duane on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Duane,

I think what you said in your two earlier posts is pure BS.

Respectfully,
Leo
Duane

Post by Duane »

Last edited by Duane on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Duane,

Of course I respect you, I have no motive not to. It's your opinion I think it's nonsense.

Making "art" with your feet wouldn't make any sense if you have a functional pair of hands. Likewise, adjusting a tenon using the wrong tools just makes no sense to me. Of course, there are artists that like to make "statements" but I don't care for them either... (I'm quite conservative regarding art.)

For me, sweating to make a tenon fit to a mortise is just work I have to do to make a pipe, not an form of expression or anything, so I choose to make it as easily as possible.

And I strongly disagree that big companies hire "machinists" to make their pipes. Have you actually seen how factories pipes are made? Of course there is a lot of "process" involved, and everything is as automated as possible or economically feasible, but you will see that the final shaping and polishing is done pretty much the same way we all do in our dinky little shops. If you don't believe me take a look at the Dunhill factory video that was bouncing around these same forums.

I also disagree that any machinist can make a pipe from a set of blueprints.

But, I strongly agree you should do your pipes whatever you like. I really liked random, for starters (regulars will know who I'm talking about.)
Duane

Post by Duane »

Last edited by Duane on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Number of artisan pipemakers who have successfully maintained a pipemaking business using only hand tools: 0

For the guys who want to make pipes for a living, sitting down with some rasps and files just doesn't do it. I made my first two pipes with rasps and files. What a pain...
I graduated from hand tools to a hand drill and a dremel. That was ok for about ten pipes. Adding a belt sander got me through about 60 or 70 more pipes. By that time I was seriously considering going full time, but couldn't figure out how to make it work financially.

Jump to about the 200th pipe... I had a drill press, dremel, metal lathe, wood lathe, watchmaker's lathe, two belt sanders, band saw, sanding disc, blasting cabinet, 70 gallon compressor, dust collector, air cleaner, buffing rig with a big motor and some pullys and about seven different wheels mounted to a drive shaft, and a large assortment of miscellaneous other tools and equipment.
Pipes spread out all over the world, trade shows, pipe club meetings, events at retailers, awards, accolades, mentions in pipe magazines, books, and other publications...

I was still making only a very meager wage at the end of the day.

Point being, it's a struggle to make ends meet as a pipemaker, and there are very few pipemakers that are in it for the money (none that I know of). The best pipemakers that I know, in spite of all the fancy expensive equipment they own and use, have an undeniable passion for the artistry of making pipes. Mike Linder, Trever Talbert, Peter Heeschen, Todd Johnson, Tom Eltang, Joao Reis, Teddy Knudsen, Kent Rasmussen, Mike Butera, Michael Parks, Jim Cooke, Lee Erck (you rascall!), Larry Roush, Will Purdy, Rolando Negoita... I could go on. These are people I've met, in person, spent time with, and you can see it in their eyes, hear it when they talk about the pipes, and it is that undeniable passion that drives them to go out and mortgage the farm and buy all of the fancy equipment that will allow them to make those shapes that are dancing around in their heads all day.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Duane,

Do not worry about those kind of things, and please don't feel pressured to back off or anything.

Cheers,
Leo

P.S.: I really hope you keep getting enjoyment from this forum.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

WCannoy wrote:Number of artisan pipemakers who have successfully maintained a pipemaking business using only hand tools: 0

For the guys who want to make pipes for a living, sitting down with some rasps and files just doesn't do it. I made my first two pipes with rasps and files. What a pain...
I graduated from hand tools to a hand drill and a dremel. That was ok for about ten pipes. Adding a belt sander got me through about 60 or 70 more pipes. By that time I was seriously considering going full time, but couldn't figure out how to make it work financially.

Jump to about the 200th pipe... I had a drill press, dremel, metal lathe, wood lathe, watchmaker's lathe, two belt sanders, band saw, sanding disc, blasting cabinet, 70 gallon compressor, dust collector, air cleaner, buffing rig with a big motor and some pullys and about seven different wheels mounted to a drive shaft, and a large assortment of miscellaneous other tools and equipment.
Pipes spread out all over the world, trade shows, pipe club meetings, events at retailers, awards, accolades, mentions in pipe magazines, books, and other publications...

I was still making only a very meager wage at the end of the day.

Point being, it's a struggle to make ends meet as a pipemaker, and there are very few pipemakers that are in it for the money (none that I know of). The best pipemakers that I know, in spite of all the fancy expensive equipment they own and use, have an undeniable passion for the artistry of making pipes. Mike Linder, Trever Talbert, Peter Heeschen, Todd Johnson, Tom Eltang, Joao Reis, Teddy Knudsen, Kent Rasmussen, Mike Butera, Michael Parks, Jim Cooke, Lee Erck (you rascall!), Larry Roush, Will Purdy, Rolando Negoita... I could go on. These are people I've met, in person, spent time with, and you can see it in their eyes, hear it when they talk about the pipes, and it is that undeniable passion that drives them to go out and mortgage the farm and buy all of the fancy equipment that will allow them to make those shapes that are dancing around in their heads all day.
Well put. I will never, ever be an artisan such as those you mention and others (Rad, Todd, Chris, etc, right here on this site), am really not looking to sell pipes, but there is no doubt but that my pleasure in making pipes has significantly increased since I "machined" up to an extent.

Drilling the holes on a lathe doesn't change/alter the size or alignment of the holes, it just makes it happen more quickly, with less hassle, so I can get to the real issues. Sanding with the lathe, or a small belt sander really doesn't change the amount I have to sand, it just makes it quicker to get to where I am finishing/final shaping/etc.

While I am sure there may be a different satisfaction in doing everything like they did umpteen years ago (lathes actually date back to around 1300 BC.), I would suspect there is also a frustration if you are not able to achieve the picture of the pipe you have in your mind and wish to actually have come to reality!

Plus, I just love tools!
Leus

Post by Leus »

Funnily enough, I hate in no particular order:

1) Fixing the darn block to the lathe
2) Drilling the darn holes
3) Shaping the darn tenon
4) Fitting the darn tenon to the darn mortise
5) anything related to shaping and sanding stems.

I think the only part I truly enjoy is the shaping of the stummel. Even then, in terms of grit, I love 60 and 800, and hate everything in between.

Love the final polishing stage, thought.

Your mileage may vary :twisted:
Last edited by Leus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

wmolaw wrote:Plus, I just love tools!
Well, yeah... That's one of the more appealing things about pipemaking. Playing with tools and machinery!

The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I have a metal lathe and a power sanding unit and a great buffing setup, I think these tools are- as before mentioned a mean to an end- they make work much faster, and allow me all sorts of creative/artistic liberties which files and a drill press alone do not. That being said- I also have a large selection of files and hand tools which see their fair share of use. And no- I am not a glorified machinist- I'm a hack job who knows just enough to make do.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/