First ever pipe....what tools are a must?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
flea1

First ever pipe....what tools are a must?

Post by flea1 »

I am getting ready to make my first pipe ever...could someone look at my list of tools and tell me if I need any hand shaping tools. I can not afford a lathe at this point. Here is a list of my tools:

drill press
band saw
router with table
table saw

What bits, files...etc...should I buy first?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I would throw in a decent rasp, a file and a chainsaw file. I actually have a Nicholson file/rasp combo that has a flat file and a flat rasp. It also has a concaved rasp and a concaved file. I also have just a regular old file, like you would use to sharpen a lawn mower blade. A chainsaw sharpening file and a 1/4" prism shaped file. All of which I beleive I picked up at Lowes. I actually think all, except for the chainsaw file, were in a combo pack together.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
flea1

Post by flea1 »

About how much do the combo sets run?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

A German Shorthair!! Wow...gorgeous avatar pic. German Shorthairs are my favorite breed.

You'll also need sand paper at 220, 400, 600 grits, and some buffing wheels and buffing compounds. You can use your drill press to buff.

Tyler
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Yes...shorthairs are beautiful dogs. I have one (pictured dog is not mine) his name is Harley...great dog wonderful personality.

What types of bits will I need for the tobacco chamber?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

flea1 wrote:What types of bits will I need for the tobacco chamber?
Spade bits that you grind to an appropriate profile. If you don't want to grind them yourself, you can buy them from Pimo or inquire in the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section of this forum. Someone here might sell you some.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

As for the combo file/rasp and my other files. I think I maybe spent around $15 for all of them at Lowe's.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I just thought about the fact that you apparently intend to drill your first pipe yourself. With that in mind, another key tool is something to turn the tenon for the stem. A Pimo tenon turning tool is the least expensive route, and a metal lathe the most expensive.
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Yeah...I have looked into the Pimo tool and will probably purchase that fairly soon. What are some good stains (brand)? What are some alternatives are to buffing (by hand)?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Do a search on leather dyes for stains. As for buffing, you need buffing wheels that you can mount in on a motor (or in your drill press).
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Cool...thanks a lot guys! This gives me a better idea of what I need to get.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Another little hint to start out cheap. I got some cheap buffing wheels from Harbor Freight Tools. There were, I beleive, 3 wheels in one pack and I think they came with an arbor and some buffing compound. I used the buffs but did not use the compounds, I got those from PIMO. The wheels were a bit small, but they will do for starting out. I think they are like 4" wheels. I mounted the wheel that I was going to use on the arbor and chucked it up in my hand drill (that was before I had a drill press). It did an ok job.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
flea1

Post by flea1 »

so what kind of buffs would i use on my drill press
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Yeah tyler, what kind of buffing pads are there for a drill press?

incidently i have a (relatively) cheap grinder to re-shape spade bits and to buff pipes. It cost $90 (it's a delta from lowes). I have 3 *soft* buffing wheels from lowes that run about $7 each.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I would think that you could mount any of them on an arbor and chuck them up in the drill press. The only catch is that your buffs will be oriented horizontally instead of vertically. That is the way that I plan on buffing my next pipe. That is unless I get a grinder between now and then.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
flea1

Post by flea1 »

I think I will just jack up my truck completely off the ground, remove one of my tires, hook up the buffer to the wheel and have my wife rev up the engine and buff out my pipes that way....... :P
Nick

Post by Nick »

Kurt Huhn grinds Silver and Demming bits. I think Random grinds very precise spade bits too. You might drop them a note.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

You could definately do that....just tell her not to juice it too much or she might end up flinging your stummel into your neighbors yard! :lol:
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
flea1

Post by flea1 »

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!

So when you guys finish the final product...I've heard some people rub honey in the tobacco chamber. What do you guys do?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

flea1 wrote:THAT IS TOO FUNNY!

So when you guys finish the final product...I've heard some people rub honey in the tobacco chamber. What do you guys do?
Oh boy... 8O

...this is quite the can of worms. :P

Do a search on "bowl coating".

Tyler :D