Calling Walt Cannoy

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Calling Walt Cannoy

Post by bikedoctor »

Walt,

I just heard your interview on the Pipes Magazine Podcast with Kevin Godbee that pirates took over your old web page.

Anything we can do as a community to help your get it back?

Kev
Kevin
WCannoy

Re: Calling Walt Cannoy

Post by WCannoy »

bikedoctor wrote:Walt,

I just heard your interview on the Pipes Magazine Podcast with Kevin Godbee that pirates took over your old web page.

Kev
Ha! Thanks Kev!

The real story is: I'm no longer in contact with the guy who used to manage my old site. I'm sure he means me no malice, but I don't know why it's still up. Maybe he registered it for a 10 year chunk, then forgot about it? I know it hasn't changed since 2006. A "who is" search only turns up a hosting company... The domain expires soon, if they let it lapse, I'll try to snag it. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to try to buy the domain from them, or I don't know if I have a legal leg to stand on... but who can afford a lawyer? Right?

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears!!!
Massis

Post by Massis »

If you were the original owner - through "the other guy" - and the old domain still exists with all content, obviously referring to you and your work, than that might be enough to prove to the current hosting company that you are the legitimate owner.

If they acknowledge you as the owner, the only costs to make it yours again would be moving costs to a new host, usually $50 orso...
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

WCannoy wrote:
bikedoctor wrote:Walt,

Kev
Ha! Thanks Kev!

The real story is: I'm no longer in contact with the guy who used to manage my old site. I'm sure he means me no malice, but I don't know why it's still up. Maybe he registered it for a 10 year chunk, then forgot about it? I know it hasn't changed since 2006. A "who is" search only turns up a hosting company... The domain expires soon, if they let it lapse, I'll try to snag it. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to try to buy the domain from them, or I don't know if I have a legal leg to stand on... but who can afford a lawyer? Right?

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears!!!
Walt, many times the original site builder will register the domain name in your name, but have the notices sent to his address/e-mail. You may wish to check with the hosting company, as noted by another poster to see whose name the site is actually in. If it is yours, it shouldn't be tough to have the host send you the name. Do you owe the guy that managed it before any money? Sometimes that's an issue, but not often. If it's in his name, I have known hosting companies to give notice to him that you are requesting a transfer to you, and if he doesn't answer in X time, they will move forward and reassign it to you. Especially if you show that you were the payor for the site.