My first Morta!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

My first Morta!

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have completed my first morta pipe. It will most certainly not be my last.

First, some observations:

Morta is a fickle material. Much different than briar. It seems harder, and yet contradictory, also much softer. It splits and chips pretty easily and the growth rings are much more fragile when compared to the other stuff. After a couple of file swipes it was apparent that overall the material is much more resilient to carving.

The wood on this particular block of morta is near jet black. It has not been dyed in any way. I love the look especially paired with the nickel cap and band. This is also the first bit of green cumberland I've used. Overall I think it all works together.

This pipe is almost a nosewarmer 4 1/2" and light at 1.125 oz. About a Dunhill group 4 in size. I made it sort of short and stocky to experiment with proportions.

Finally I had the stummel sandblasted by a friend of mine named Eric. He does glass and sculpture here at the university and has access to a ginormous blaster. Since this was our first time blasting morta we took things kind of easy. The blast is pretty light. Next time We're going to crank up the PSI a little more and try and achieve that crosshatched look you see on some morta pipes.

The shaping on this one isn't quite as dialed in as I'd like. Luckily the sandblast seemed to even some things out.

Please let me know what you guys think.

wisemanpipes

Re: My first Morta!

Post by wisemanpipes »

dude that thing looks badass. i would buy that thing in a second if i wasnt broke from tooling.
seriously i like everything. from the shank cap to the slight blast to the sick green cumberland.
nice job jesse!

-evan
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I think I'm gonna have to buy me some morta.

I really like the blast on that one. It looks like you found a half burned log in a camp fire and thought "hhmmmm....I bet that would make a nice looking pipe". Really cool from the front and back views.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Wow, those are extremely open pores! Is it some kind of oak? Have you considered using some kind of grain filler on it? Or would that be a bad idea? I don't know enough about the properties of bog wood to know.

Otherwise, it looks really nice. The metal bands are a nice touch, and it's nice to see a pipe that looks good with a green stem for once.
- Steve S.
snapper-G

Post by snapper-G »

I think the green swirl stem looks pretty sharp and contrasts nicely with the Morta.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work!