asymmetrical volcano

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sam a

asymmetrical volcano

Post by sam a »

hey dudes, i made another pipe... lemme know what you think, and what i might do better. thanks.

Sasquatch

Re: asymmetrical volcano

Post by Sasquatch »

Really cool in any number of ways. I really like the little pseudo-pod on the back. In fact, I'd like to see that hinted at more strongly in the back of the bowl (front of the bowl for Tyler and Wayne), where I think that the lines (from bowl wall to the foot) don't quite jibe as you pass through the shank.

I think the stem is too long - to me the pipe would "pop" more if you had a stem about 3/4" shorter. I do like the angle of the cut on the saddle very much.

The curves into the stem are just a little flattened (bottom side) and elbowed (top side), but it's really a photo thing - the pipe probably does "look better in real life" by and large.

Anyway that's an adventurous take on the volcano, really fresh and I think very much worth working with again in the future. Nice piece of wood, and you got a LOT out of it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
GPipe

Post by GPipe »

I'd be proud to have that in my collection. Nitpicking: a little more bend in the stem so that it's slightly more parallel with the rim.

Nice pipe.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a really nice pipe, Sam. I agree with Sas that the stem looks a touch long and the bend is a touch abrupt but that's picking nits. Of course, Sas is wrong about which is the front and which is the back but he's Canadian so it's no real surprise.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I agree with Sas and Wayne.

I think the stem still looks good mind you, but something a bit shorter could add to the overall composition.

One other note, the second photo, with the pipe sideways looking at it's "face", the line that is flaring away from the chamber at the rim doesn't stay true, it curves back in towards the bowl, which is tough to avoid, I'll be the first to admit that. Sometimes to avoid doing that, you have to work carefully with a fine sanding disc and sandpapers wrapped around some sort of backer pad(a woman's nail board works dandy for this).

These are all nitpicks mind you, this pipe is a lovely composition with gorgeous grain! Great job!

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
andrew

Post by andrew »

This is a nice pipe. Most of the lines are clean. The top line on the shank and stem have some irregularities in them. It should be one gentle curve, but it looks like three curves forced together.

I like that you are cutting the shoulder of the saddle at a different angle, just remember, there should be a reason why you're doing it, it should flow with something. Otherwise its just a nice looking angle, which is ok, but it can be much more without a great deal of effort.

Overall, this is good. You did the volcano proud, it thanks you for not leaving its underside a plain dish.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Nicely done. I really like that birdseye.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I agree with everything that's been said. I'm excited that you've gone from a loooong stint of making very little to knocking out two very nice pipes in the last month. I'm really glad to see you picking up the pace! :)

That's a sweet pipe, Sam. Keep it up!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
sam a

Post by sam a »

thanks for the notes gents. it's much appreciated.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I can't add any new critique, so I'll just tell ya what I like about it. The stain contrast is nice, very pretty on the birdseye. I like the saddle stem and overall shape of the pipe. Your take on the volcano gives me a little more hope for the shape actually. It's not one I care for too much, but I rather like yours.

Nice work.

Brian.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Interesting, fresh take on the shape!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Look out Winslow.This is one of my favorites.Maybe, more bend in the stem will change the look, I like the stem however .You have done a masterful job. This is high level work. SAS and Wayne have covered anything amiss. WOW!