$$ ASP club pipe 2005

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like the idea you posted random. Several pipe makers making the same shape. Seems like that would be the best way to get as many ASP'ers the club pipe they want.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Random, thanks for posting this. Ben, I'd be interested in joining the team. I'd love the chance to get my work seen by these guys.

Sounds like either a billard or a freehand at this point, huh?

Chadd
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Based on the responses so far, there are very few of these guys that you want as future customers. As someone whio makes some fairly high priced items, I can almost guarantee that there is no market for an artisan pipe amongst people who when queried pony up $50 - $100 thinking that a pipemaker can do this and profit to boot. This of course is only my opinion and YMMV. The best you can hope with 90% of the respondents so far is "gee I own 10 Stanwells and Savinellis, 4 cobs and 6 grabows and this guys ASP pipe for $100 kicks the shit out of all of them" Unless of course you want to make pipes for $100 the rest of your life.

Neil
Last edited by sagiter on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
jeff

Post by jeff »

Geez, stop yelling.

:cry:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:Geez, stop yelling.

:cry:
:lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:On the other hand, Kurt Huhn has said he can make 5 or 6 pipes a day, goes right from the disk sander to the buffer.
Well, at that point, it's usually from disk sander to rustication tool - and those are the ones that go for $85 retail. If it's hitting the buffer at all, it's a smooth finish, and it's probably going to retail for closer to $200 at a minimum - and going up quickly from there.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Kurt, you really go from sanding disc to buffer? How do you manage that!?
Nick

Post by Nick »

It depends on the grit of the disk I suppose. I've been thinking about putting some velcro on the disk, and making a few plates to put on it. Some hard backing for 100 - 220, somthing with a bit of give for 320 - 400 and a soft foam backing for 600 - 2000. Haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about it. Being able to use the disk all the way up the line sounds pretty cool. Clearly some hand sanding would still have to be done.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

sagiter wrote:Based on the responses so far, there are very few of these guys that you want as future customers. As someone whio makes some fairly high priced items, I can almost guarantee that there is no market for an artisan pipe amongst people who when queried pony up $50 - $100 thinking that a pipemaker can do this and profit to boot. This of course is only my opinion and YMMV. The best you can hope with 90% of the respondents so far is "gee I own 10 Stanwells and Savinellis, 4 cobs and 6 grabows and this guys ASP pipe for $100 kicks the shit out of all of them" Unless of course you want to make pipes for $100 the rest of your life.

Neil
I pretty much agree with what your saying... except that I don't really care if they are repeat customers in the future, know what I mean? I care for repeat customers but if my work merits a higher price they are unwilling to pay than that's just what it is. Right now my lower price permits me to get good pipes into peoples hands while I work at getting better and filling up my workshop. That's how I see it...

but I don't know if I'm in on this thing on ASP tho cause i think Bastian is emailing folks and I don't think I made the list...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:Kurt, you really go from sanding disc to buffer? How do you manage that!?
You need a very soft and flexible disk holder, as well as sanding disks that wrap around the holder. Check out The Wave System sanding disks at any wood crafting or turning store, and you'll need a vry thick and soft backing pad for the disk holder.

Now, I'd be lying if I said I go direct from sanding wheel to buffer - it doesn't happen like that. Some amount of hand sanding is necessary - especially on the stems. BUT, I can greatly cut down on the amount of hand sanding needed, and cut the time investment considerably, all while getting an incredible finish.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com