Workin' on a pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
d.huber

Workin' on a pipe

Post by d.huber »

Hey Sas, I decided to make this one out of briar.

Also, any thoughts or feedback are welcome. There's still plenty left to do with the pipe. Ernie and Tyler have given me some great things to think about before I move forward with the piece and I'd be happy to hear anyone else's thoughts as well.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by d.huber on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Re: Workin' on a pipe

Post by wisemanpipes »

to bad about the block, shapes really nice :twisted:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Get some kind of stem in there and make sure the angle you are carving the piece is going to work with your mortise angle. Just a stick will do. The shank is a little heavy for the bowl size to my eye... might depend on the stem.

I like the idea of the stummel, the little bevel works nice I think. Stem-wise, you better be looking for something with a nifty shifty angle on it, because the usual ball/ring assembly will look like shit on this.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:Stem-wise, you better be looking for something with a nifty shifty angle on it, because the usual ball/ring assembly will look like shit on this.
Agreed.

Here's a massive shank pipe with a stem that works. Maybe it'll give you some ideas:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:Get some kind of stem in there and make sure the angle you are carving the piece is going to work with your mortise angle. Just a stick will do. The shank is a little heavy for the bowl size to my eye... might depend on the stem.
I actually told Tyler I'd take a photo with something in the mortise to give an idea of the angle. It's not perpendicular to the shank face. I'll try to remember to do that this evening.

The shank being heavy in profile is the most consistent comment I've heard about it so far. Would you take meat off of the top of the shank or the bottom?
Sasquatch wrote:I like the idea of the stummel, the little bevel works nice I think. Stem-wise, you better be looking for something with a nifty shifty angle on it, because the usual ball/ring assembly will look like shit on this.
Totally agree. I've got a plan in mind, but some recent conversations have called that plan into question so I'm rethinking it a bit. I'm open to suggestions.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Stem-wise, you better be looking for something with a nifty shifty angle on it, because the usual ball/ring assembly will look like shit on this.
Agreed.

Here's a massive shank pipe with a stem that works. Maybe it'll give you some ideas:
Oh, thank goodness. That's exactly what I had planned. I'm glad to see it works so beautifully! :lol:

-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I can't comment further on what to take off the shank without seeing the stem or a proto stem in it. Where it gets trimmed is relative to stem location and angle. "Single compositional idea" doesn't rhyme with much but it's fucking important.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Oh, thank goodness. That's exactly what I had planned. I'm glad to see it works so beautifully! :lol:
Just make sure (if you go that route) that the taper angle on the barrel portion of the stem is the same as the taper angle on the shank. It creates a mass-balancing, mirror-image sort of effect.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

My first reaction was that the shank was heavy too. I think you have a really nice flowing line on the bottom so I would remove from the top of the shank if possible. Nice shape and nice piece of briar.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:I can't comment further on what to take off the shank without seeing the stem or a proto stem in it. Where it gets trimmed is relative to stem location and angle. "Single compositional idea" doesn't rhyme with much but it's fucking important.
True enough. I'll take a picture this evening.

-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

this is what I thought of when I first saw this stummel. I like what florov did here.

while im not crazy on the stepped dome, I can appreciate the squatness of the Dublin with a bulbous stem.
Last edited by wisemanpipes on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:My first reaction was that the shank was heavy too. I think you have a really nice flowing line on the bottom so I would remove from the top of the shank if possible. Nice shape and nice piece of briar.
This is what I'm starting to think as well. I'll get that photo up tonight so we've got a better idea of the composition.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wisemanpipes wrote:Image

this is what I thought of when I first saw this stummel. I like what florov did here.

while im not crazy on the stepped dome, I can appreciate the squatness of the Dublin with a bulbous stem.
The stem angle on that Florov is steeper than my intent.

IMO, the shank on the Florov feels pinched to me, like it's the opposite extreme.

-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

sorry David, I was just trying to display a pipe that has a fat shank and how it might match, stem-wise. I agree it is on the opposite end of the spectrum as far shank bend. I think that a fat shoulder looks nice.

I think Wayne is right though. the bottom line flows beautifully, and the top line looks like it could be the source of the extra meat. unless your dialed in from your mortise location.

Evan
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wisemanpipes wrote:sorry David, I was just trying to display a pipe that has a fat shank and how it might match, stem-wise. I agree it is on the opposite end of the spectrum as far shank bend. I think that a fat shoulder looks nice.

I think Wayne is right though. the bottom line flows beautifully, and the top line looks like it could be the source of the extra meat. unless your dialed in from your mortise location.

Evan
No worries, Evan. I realize that my last post seemed terse and I apologize for that. I'm at work and I posted hastily as a customer walked in the door instead of waiting until I had a second to reply.

I'm actually really glad that you posted it. It's a really good example in the same world here and a masterful pipe to compare to. Keep it comin'! :)

-Tyler Beard
andrew

Post by andrew »

Take it off the top of the shank, not the underside.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This would have the effect of making the bowl seem relatively larger too, so it's probably right.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

For the stem, I guess with that off axis shank face, I would try to recess a large 1/2 slot for the shoulder or hand turn an off centre flare. Both are gonna suck, unless you like that sort of thing...:)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I would cut a ring on approximately the angle of the briar.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Great suggestions, guys. I'm thinking of something along the lines of what Evan's suggesting with the off axis flare, but the angled ring sounds impossible, so I may try that. ;)

Here's that photo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

-Tyler Beard