Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
d.huber

Billiard

Post by d.huber »

I've been working on this Billiard since last March and finally got up the courage to finish it yesterday. Todd and Scottie gave me some good advice on the shape, which, having applied those tips, I think made the pipe much better.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has on any aspect of the pipe.

http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Re: Billiard

Post by wisemanpipes »

Where's the notch?! you're definitely no Gracik :wink: :twisted:
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Oh Boy! Uber is stepping into a world I am much more familiar with! I actually have some critique on this one.

First of all, excellent pipe, especially the stem/bit work. All the things I'm about to point out are pretty nitpicky, so keep that in mind.

1. I think the bowl does not meet the shank in a harmonious way. I think if you took some more meat off the back of the bowl near the shank line it would help the transition.
2. Looking from the top you can see that the shank line is not a gentle taper toward the bit but dips in ever so slightly and then flares out to meet the ebonite. This is all a dwell time problem with sandpaper. It is very difficult (at least for me) to overcome but one step is to make sure that you turn the stem to a smaller diameter to the end of the shank. Sanding the shank should be done very carefully.
3. Overall form...I think this one is nearing apple territory. Part of this is the definition issue. Another is the shank size relative to the bowl. Unless I do a thin shank or a nosewarmer I try to keep the with of the shank approximately one third the height of the bowl, maybe a little more or less depending on other variables.

I played around with a pic in paint. I think you'll see what I mean.

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Jesse,

Whoa! That seemingly small adjustment you made in the photo makes a tremendous difference. I'll be referring to this.

You're right about the shank sweeping a bit. This occurred right when you suspect, when I was blending. For some reason I wound up with a taper up towards the stem instead of down. >.<

Thanks for the notes!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

Beautiful finish.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Jesse,are you using Sas's crayons?

Good comments.. Of which I'll take note of also.. David.. Nice pipe flaws and all ;-)

James
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Jesse, I think you made the back side of the bowl a bit too curved on the back side. But I think you're right in taking a bit off of the shank/bowl junction. Straighter walls(not 90degree straight mind you, just slight curves) make a big difference.

I think it's time for me to try making a straight billiard- I've never made one before. I think I'll do a saddle stem instead though. I like saddles.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Oh. One more small critique- your shank line isn't perfectly square with the shank face.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

nice pipe david! your stain and finish are really nice! I think the heel could use a little tightening up and not so round and bulbous.
I like it alot though and am glad you decided to go ahead and freehand a classic. impressive
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The photo, anyway (lens distortion, maybe) seems to show that the shank face is angled down a half degree or so from the center axis of the shank, making the stem "droop."

If you sight down the side of the shank from the bowl end, gun-barrel-style, is the button centered?

Also, to my eye, the stem itself looks about 3/8" to 1/2" too short.

Finally, in the fourth pic down, the button seems "twisted" to the left. Simply stem insertion misalignment, or mis-cut? Inquiring minds want to know.

The rear of the bowl contour and shank "dwell time sag" things have already been covered.

Nice conservative/classical color and finish. Like a brown-tinted Comoy's Blue Riband. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Micah and George spotted the alignment issue between the stem and shank! Good eye, fellas. Getting these things lined up just right when you're free-handing is no easy task. :P

For George:

The button issue you refer to is a miss cut on my part. I got a little speedy when cutting the button on this stem. I just have to remember to take the slow and steady route. I'll do better next time. Promise. :)

And here I'd been worried that the stem was too long! I took it off and measured over and over again, and it's exactly the same length as the stummel. Could be an optical illusion due to the heft of the pipe?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

-Tyler Beard
Lars J.P Johansson

Post by Lars J.P Johansson »

Amazing work Sir!
I like everything about it.
-the stain
-the finish
-the shape