Sanding disks

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LexKY_Pipe

Sanding disks

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I was always told that there are no stupid questions, but this one may appear to border on it.

Why do some sanding disks have holes--some six, some eight holes--and other disks do not have the holes.

Which type is better for stummel shaping and which type for stummel final sanding?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Uh... I know the type of discs you are talking about. Those are made for devices like hand-held disc sanders (like you would use on on car). From what I understand (which isn't much) it has to do with the device that they are made for.

I wouldn't use the ones with six holes, even if you could attach them to your disc sander. My guess is that the holes are to ventilate dust and I don't believe that I've ever seen a disc sander (table top) that has anything but a solid backing to it... So you wouldn't do any good getting one of those discs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yep, those holes are are for dust extraction. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to use any of them for shaping.

For shaping, use whatever works. Out of 10 pipe makers, you'll find 10 different methods for shaping and sanding pipes. For instance, I use an industrial belt grinder for shaping - I don't recall anyone here doing the same. I seem to recall that Todd uses a resin-backed disc to do that. I was talking to someone else the other day that swears by his Craftsman belt/disc sander.

Final sanding is another thing entirely. These days I use a disc, some folks use strips of sandpaper, and some folks roll the sandpaper around their finger.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com