Sandblasted Prapple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Sandblasted Prapple

Post by scotties22 »

I showed this to you fellas that were on g+ last Friday. Here it is all finished up. My camera is a piece of crap so you really can't see the detail in the blast. I promise there is some really nice ring grain. :evil:

The stem is way short for a prince, but I like the way the bend feels with the shape of the bowl. If you have any comments keep them to yourselves :lol: Seriously...Let me know what you think. :wink:

Length: 4.84"
Height: 1.31"
Width: 1.55"
Chamber: .75" x 1.14"
Weight: 32 grams

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
E.L.Cooley

Re: Sandblasted Prapple

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Scotties, I think it looks great. I especially like the contrast between the smooth bevel and the blasted outside. I don't really go for blasted but I really want to hold that one. And the touch of color in the stem. Sorry my eye is so untrained that I can't offer anything more constructive than ohh pretty.

Sent from my banana phone.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I don't think the stem is too short. While doing research for my PITH prince (I did make one! Pictures will happen soon), I noticed that a lot of princes have a 1:1 ratio of stummel to stem. I think the prince is a popular shape for proportionately long stems, but I wouldn't call it a requirement by any stretch. I like this one, although I'm not sure it will pass muster for Mr. Alden.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a good looking pipe. How thick is the bit? It appears to be .17" or greater. I think it would look better with a longer stem but it's still a nice pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, I'm waiting for the "where's the smiley" from Mr. Alden :lol:

The bit is .158 behind the button. The shank is only .55 so I think it makes the stem look fatter than it is.
www.ladybriar.com
Yak

Post by Yak »

All advice you get from authentic pipemakers is good advice. :thumbsup:

That said, pipes are female. And while there are general agreements about proportions &c re. beauty, in the end lots of them are just flat out nice without any two of them being identical.

That said, a proportionately long stem & short shank looks, IMO, like somebody salvaged a block that was too small to make a pipe from rather that pitch it when a problem in one end of it showed up.

FWIW
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I love it, but, seeing that shape, the slight bend, etc, I think "Prince" and immediately think the stem is too short. Your execution is terrific. Turn the fuckin pressure up.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sasquatch wrote:I love it, but, seeing that shape, the slight bend, etc, I think "Prince" and immediately think the stem is too short. Your execution is terrific. Turn the fuckin pressure up.
I'm gonna reblast it and then find you and beat you over the head with it :twisted: The pressure is turned up...think I need to change my nozzle. It really isn't that bad. My pictures are really just that shitty
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

As the classics expert that I am, that's a nice pipe. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

scotties22 wrote:Yeah, I'm waiting for the "where's the smiley" from Mr. Alden :lol:

The bit is .158 behind the button. The shank is only .55 so I think it makes the stem look fatter than it is.
See the thing about the smiley face is, you can't overdo it. You start turning them all upside down and putting smiley faces on it, pretty soon the kids get tired of seeing it and move on.
Now this one looks pretty good, but I think it would be nicer as a Reverse Calabash Hatfield :lol:
Alden

Post by Alden »

Seriously though, I like the shaping a lot. But like most of the others, I can only see it as better with a longer stem on it.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Very nice pipe Scottie.Your skills are really getting better.You Go with that stem.Yes! not classic, but perfectly acceptable.You could call it a Neutered prince, by Scottie. :thumbsup:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

pipedreamer wrote:Very nice pipe Scottie.Your skills are really getting better.You Go with that stem.Yes! not classic, but perfectly acceptable.You could call it a Neutered prince, by Scottie. :thumbsup:
Hahahaaaa....The Eunic!! I love it.
www.ladybriar.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

I like it scottie! the bowl shaping is real nice. I like the stem at that length, but then again, im not a huge fan of the classic prince shape anyway.

as per the blast, what is the origin of that block. a lot of the greek briar ive blasted looks like that and has that really weird grain pattern. I end up getting more straight grain than rings...

you need a bigger compressor!!!...everybody always needs a bigger compressor :D
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

It's actually French briar. 99% of my briar is. It's got good ring grain there. I'm going to reblast it this weekend. Put a new nozzle on and am going to bump up the psi a bit.
www.ladybriar.com
Yak

Post by Yak »

Clarification : the overall length is right on.

It's the other-than-something-like 50/50 shank/stem proportion I was commenting on.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

To really get the ring grain to stand out you have to adjust your light source so that it casts the shadows just right.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

scottie. great pipe! I dont have anything to offer that hasnt been said yet referring to the stem length and blast depth.
Alden wrote:
scotties22 wrote:Yeah, I'm waiting for the "where's the smiley" from Mr. Alden :lol:

See the thing about the smiley face is, you can't overdo it. You start turning them all upside down and putting smiley faces on it, pretty soon the kids get tired of seeing it and move on.
Now this one looks pretty good, but I think it would be nicer as a Reverse Calabash Hatfield :lol:

See examples below: Image
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work Scottie!! Really like that pipe!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I like it. Nice work.

andrew