2nd Billiard Please have a look

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

2nd Billiard Please have a look

Post by kamkiel »

Once I can start making some better pipes I will definitely by open to any and all critiques, but for now your suggestions on how to make a better pipe are more than welcome. I know most of you don't know me, but I will be happy to receive everybody's suggestions/advice.
Attachments
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095836.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095836.png (85.32 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095812.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095812.png (159.41 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095727.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095727.png (205.95 KiB) Viewed 968 times
kamkiel

Re: 2nd Billiard Please have a look

Post by kamkiel »

continued
Attachments
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095941.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095941.png (233.86 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095920.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095920.png (130.49 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095854.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140407095854.png (77 KiB) Viewed 967 times
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The shank is too short. Should be the same as the height of the bowl. The bowl needs to be canted forward about 3° with the rim perpendicular to the chamber. Your button looks a bit tall, and I wouldn't taper the shank quite as much. Otherwise, it looks nice. The stain looks pretty even and the shank/bowl junction looks right, and the bottom of the shank to the bowl looks flat, which is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thank for having a look! I have been paying attention to the shank/bowl junction and the bottom line of the shank to bowl. My next efforts will definitely be focusing on my stem work. One of my buddies also mentioned my button being too big, but I have went back to work on the stem two or three times already. Every time I would go back to work the stem I found the taper on the shank getting more and more severe. I decided to just let this one go and pay more attention on the next one.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Kamkiel,

Yes. Focus on stem work for sure. Use a caliper to measure button and bite area. Make a button and stem you think are comfortable, then smoke the pipe to test if you got it thin enough. I find that 3.5mm behind the button is where I no longer get a fatigued jaw and a button no taller than 6mm. YMMV.

For the shank, you can taper just the 1/8" where the stem meets the shank and then make the shank straight. That's how Dunhill does it, anyways.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

This is good for a second billiard. The only thing I would add is that you have a lot of material to remove from the shank/bowl junction in that last photo. The radius needs to be tighter.
Good call on letting this one go and moving on. That can be a hard one to learn.

andrew
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks! I think my next purchase will be a caliper. I have just been eyeballing it, which is a bit nerve racking. Nothing like spending a good amount of time making a crappy stem sand a hole through it.

I am going to have a look at some of the other pipes I have started and see if I can't get that shank/bowl junction tightened up and my taper right. I have got two more billiards on the table, a blow fish thingy that I started, and some pipes I messed up a while back that I have dedicated to practicing shank extensions.

The reason that many of my shanks will be short is because I bought a more than a few really small blocks to practice on. I am living in China so the materials and tools I can find feel quite restricted. I have bought a lot of garbage in the pursuit of making a descent pipe, but damn, it is fun making them!
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

kamkiel wrote: I have bought a lot of garbage in the pursuit of making a descent pipe, but damn, it is fun making them!
Only truer words are "is this a billiard?"

Sent from my banana phone.
sam a

Post by sam a »

kamkiel wrote: I am living in China so the materials and tools I can find feel quite restricted.

dearest kiel,

i imagine this must be frustrating... so, i recommend you relocate from china to the US of A. when you arrive i then invite you to use my tools and shop and i will also buy you a sammich. you're welcome.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sam a wrote:dearest kiel,

i imagine this must be frustrating... so, i recommend you relocate from china to the US of A. when you arrive i then invite you to use my tools and shop and i will also buy you a sammich. you're welcome.
Sam,
Thank you for the recommendation, but I really like being able to smoke wherever I go (elevators, kindergartens, hospital, etc.). Also, I don't know if I could ever get used to reliable tools that I can use without breaking for more than a month, but I haven't had a good sammich in a long time.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

kamkiel wrote:

Sam,
Thank you for the recommendation, but I really like being able to smoke wherever I go (elevators, kindergartens, hospital, etc.). Also, I don't know if I could ever get used to reliable tools that I can use without breaking for more than a month, but I haven't had a good sammich in a long time.
You can smoke anywhere in China? Boys, feed the horse and hitch up the cart. Wagons east!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
andrew

Post by andrew »

You guys get around on horseback in Chicago? I knew things were a bit backward there, but sheesh.

andrew
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

d.huber wrote:
kamkiel wrote:

Sam,
You can smoke anywhere in China? Boys, feed the horse and hitch up the cart. Wagons east!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Pretty much.