Pipe #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DeflictedPipes

Pipe #2

Post by DeflictedPipes »

This is the stummel that I thought was cracked from water and posted about earlier. The finish isn't quite what I was going for but I think it turned out pretty cool. This is my first handmade stem but the block was pre-drilled. There's a bunch of things I can see that need work, but I'd be happy to hear feedback. If it's too much to list maybe there's one big thing you could mention that would improve it. The shank ring is boxwood burl and it took on an interesting tie-dye like color from the stains, but it almost makes it look like the stain bled so I'm torn about it.

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
IMG_1795.jpeg
(51.94 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Mike
DeflictedPipes

Re: Pipe #2

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Couple more pics. I guess I can only attach three at a time. Sorry for the poor picture quality. :banghead:
Attachments
IMG_1799.jpeg
IMG_1799.jpeg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 484 times
That's my 9 year old's pipe project there in the background.
That's my 9 year old's pipe project there in the background.
IMG_1798.jpeg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Last edited by DeflictedPipes on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Do your staining before you attach extensions.

You need to take off quite a bit of material between shank and stem. Your bamboo doesn't really fit the composition very well. People will usually use at least 2 knuckles of bamboo, and that's a good way to start.

That's not a comprehensive list, but enough to work on for your next pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

In my opinion, I would leave the flared shank/bowl transition if you could take a good bit off of the chin to create a horn like bowl shape. I think that bowl shape would fit better with the flow of the bamboo and stem than a straighter Dublin bowl. I'm not sure if the stummel was drilled to be able to do this.

I think with the single knuckle of bamboo it would be better to have less bamboo on either side of the knuckle so it is visually more of an accent and less stretched out.

All that being said, that's really good for pipe #2.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Thank you for the guidance! It is pretty stretched out. I was worried that the tenons wouldn't be long enough to hold it tight but now after doing it I know better. The stem kind of got away from me too but once I sanded I was committed to that length. Handmade stems are nerve racking and a pain in the butt! I think I nailed the button though. The next one will be better!
Mike