Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
N.Burnsworth

Prince

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Overall I'm pretty happy with this pipe. I do however feel I could have done better. I know I put a can't to the bowl and that is not a typical characteristic of of a prince. I also noticed after beginning the finishing process that I should have shaped it like a a ball and then work the back side of the bowl to get a line similar to that of a billiard. (More vertical till about 3/4 way up and the roll it forward a couple degrees) I also should have put more flair to the stem to obtain mor of a fish tail At the bit. I intended to, but was nervous about removing material away from the shank. The drilling is flawless, the draft hole is 5/32 then reamed and the chamber is 7/8 done very nicely with a
J. Alan chamber bit. The stem is Cumberland and has a 1/4 integral tenon. Whom ever receives this pipe will have the option of bare briar bowl or coated.

Your thoughts please :)
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
wdteipen

Re: Prince

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad. The only other thing I would add that you didn't mention is that the chamber is a bit big for the size of this pipe leaving the chamber walls thinner than they should be. I'd definitely coat the bowl.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

wdteipen wrote:Not bad. The only other thing I would add that you didn't mention is that the chamber is a bit big for the size of this pipe leaving the chamber walls thinner than they should be. I'd definitely coat the bowl.
Thanks Wayne, I thought that also and checked the thickness. It is a little over 1/8 at the very top of the bowl and a little over 1/4 in the mid section and stays consistent throughout the bottom. I will coat it for safe measure.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I actually have a prince someone made me with bowl/chamber proportions identical to this. It does make me nervous to smoke and I'm careful. It hasn't shown any signs of burning out.

I'll bet it's super light, though!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

sandahlpipe wrote:I actually have a prince someone made me with bowl/chamber proportions identical to this. It does make me nervous to smoke and I'm careful. It hasn't shown any signs of burning out.

I'll bet it's super light, though!
Oh yeah!
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like the big-chamber look - very inviting for tobacco to fall in there. I think proportionately, if you are going to make the bowl this fine, you could cut the shank and stem very finely to match. In other words, to my eye, the bowl looks a bit small on that shank and stem. But the shaping/bending is nice.

The back of the bowl is maybe a bit too straight-line, gives a bit of an impression of the whole thing leaning forward, but it's not doing that on the front, you know?

Hard shape to nail.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Thanks Sas, I appreciate your thought on this. It is a hard shape to nail. Am I correct in thinking that I should shape a ball first then flatten the backside line from about from about 3/4 up?
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm not sure. A short brandy or an compressed applish shape seems to be the most "princey", but I'm not sure if there's a single standard reference.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!