my first billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Josh B.

my first billiard

Post by Josh B. »

this is my 7th pipe and my first attempt at a straight billiard. I tried more forgiving shapes before trying this one. i think the shank has to strong of a taper for a billiard and im still working on my stem/shank junction. but other than that tell me all the things i did wrong.
Attachments
IMG_0404.jpg
(219.14 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
IMG_6229.jpg
(106.67 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
IMG_2368.jpg
(200.91 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Josh B.

Re: my first billiard

Post by Josh B. »

Attachments
IMG_8235.jpg
(236.32 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The shank and stem are a little wonky. In terms of proportions, your bowl is too short for the shank and the stem aims down.

Keep working at it and let us know when you make another. The billiard is a hard shape to master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

yea i was really unhappy with the stem/shank on this one. i finished it up to see if i could make it passable but i think this one may be sent to the burn pile haha
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Josh B. wrote:yea i was really unhappy with the stem/shank on this one. i finished it up to see if i could make it passable but i think this one may be sent to the burn pile haha
Smh, josh do you not smoke pipe? Why would you burn a kinda-billiard instead of smoking it? I've got all my ugly pipes and smoke them in regular rotation. It helps me know how uncomfortable a stem can be. And how will you know how your drilling/engineering holds up to use? How you buffing/stain hold up? Ect. Pack that bowl or find a friend to put it to the test. Opinion only.

Sent from my banana phone.
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

a bit of an exaggeration really haha. i do smoke a pipe but i do have a decent sized collection mostly my own that i use in my regular rotation. this will probably end up a shop pipe or trying some new tobacco.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

+1 on the shop pipe. I just broke one of my nicer shop pipes. Now I'll be making another one in a few days here. Smoke the heck out of them and see if you can get them to break under "normal" conditions. I've heard of some people who smoke so hot that they melted the Delrin in the tenon. Seeing how a pipe looks after being beaten around in the shop is a good way to test the durability of your design and finish. If it breaks in your shop, it may break when someone puts it in their pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

i learned a big lesson like that working while smoking. i tapped out the ash and tobacco and dropped it in my pocket not ten minutes later i pulled it out and i had cracked the shank. it made me pay way more attention to shank thicknes, the one i broke was probably abt 1/16 of an inch
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I've got one that had bad drilling. Smokes fine but after maybe 15 bowls I think it getting close to burning out.
Ps I smoke black cav.

Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

black cav. as well
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Josh B. wrote:black cav. as well
Have you tried stokkebye's 201 or Boswells smokers choice? Two of my favorites.

Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

i have not. i live in a town where most of the "tobacco" shops dont even sell pipe tobacco except for the big bags of "pipe tobacco" for rolling cigarettes and i like to get my nose in the jar before i decide on a tobacco so my choices are limited until i try buying some tobaccos online but for some reason buying it online worries me