A pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

A pipe

Post by kamkiel »

The briar was telling me it wanted to be a.... I have no clue what it wanted to be. I started this pipe a long time ago and just kind of threw it to the side. There is a recent post about advice on making blowfish and since my mini lathe is currently out of commission, I thought I would come back to this one and finish it off. Again, I don't know what this is. I was going for blowfish in the beginning before I set it aside. I think I got more of a "suckerfish" instead.

I had some uneven staining on the "ball" side. I bit off way more than I could chew with the stem. The bit I bought to drill the chamber didn't quite drill as much as chew and I didn't feel like spending the time to sand out the chamber. There are also a lot of scratch marks on the stem, and I am still making my buttons too big and having a hard time getting a nice looking slot.

This was fun to make in the beginning, but just turned into a pain in the ass that I finally got around to half-heartedly finishing up. On the plus side, I bought my wife a new camera for me to play around with. I took these shots with it. Any advice on photography would be useful as well!

So.......

COME ONE COME ALL AND FEAST YOUR EYES ON THE AMAZING..... suckerfish.

Last edited by kamkiel on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hendu3270

Re: A pipe

Post by hendu3270 »

Can't see the pics...
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I think I fixed it
hendu3270

Post by hendu3270 »

Definitely an interesting pipe. Can't help on a name. New camera seems to be working well, as these photos look great.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, this shows you why a blowfish is hard. You need good wood and more than that, you need good lines, and this pipe really didn't make it all the way on either grounds. The lines are harsh and interruptive - curves that straighten out then curve again (shank and stem), the curve that comes off the back of the bowl onto the shank is pretty ugly and takes away from the nice shaping you did on the panel it's attached to. The shank is no shape - neither round nor square, and the fourth picture down shows that the lines controlling the edges of the shank are all over the place - the shining lines of light don't match the curve along the bottom, and the top of the shank has no shape at all because it's immediately swept into the back of the bowl. Too much going on, none of it with much cohesion. It's a practice blowfish, and ... they take some practice.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

hendu3270 wrote:Definitely an interesting pipe. Can't help on a name. New camera seems to be working well, as these photos look great.
The camera is really nice! :thumbsup: I feel that it can also turn into an expensive hobby though...
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Sasquatch wrote:Well, this shows you why a blowfish is hard. You need good wood and more than that, you need good lines, and this pipe really didn't make it all the way on either grounds. It's a practice blowfish, and ... they take some practice.
Sas, I appreciate the feedback! This pipe was doomed from the beginning: four dollar block of wood drilled as a straight pipe but later cut shank at an angle and redrilled for a "bentish", I had no idea what I was going to do with it as I was shaping, also the fact that I have never personally seen or held a blowfish, etc.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

And there's only one way to do it. Practice! Trust, me, there's some suckfish in my shop too! :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!