brandy attempt

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Albert.A

brandy attempt

Post by Albert.A »

Ok, this is officialy my first attempt to make one of the classics that I will make for a while now to learn the basics (like you guys recomend :)). This pipe is for my uncle, who saw a brandy-ish pipe I made for myself a while back and decided he wanted one like it. In ordering it he kinda put me in a tight spot, because he said he wanted one like the one I had. The problem is that I really, let's say, unpleased with that pipe, so I made something that is almost exactly like it, but at the same time more correct (the belly was more like a rounded edge than a smooth curve on that one) so I hepe he will be happy with it. It will probably not be very long until I begin feeling un-pleased with this one as well, cause that's the way it usually ends (my self-criticism is fierce).

I should also say that I have seen so many variations on the brandy shape that I don't really have a clue what is regarded as a "correct" brandy, so what I did was to look at my own actuall brandy-glas and made it look kinda like that, so any advice on what a brandy should look like would be much appreciated!

Critique is welcome, my aim is to improve. Oh and btw, some of you may see that the stem looks like it is ever so slightly larger (diam.) than the shank right at the stem-shank junction, that is the case and I plan on fixing that tomorrow! :)

/Albert
Attachments
DSC_0098.JPG
(62.74 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
DSC_0099.JPG
(64.01 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
DSC_0100.JPG
(65.59 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
Albert.A

Re: brandy attempt

Post by Albert.A »

Pics
Attachments
DSC_0101.JPG
(61.27 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
DSC_0103.JPG
(98.21 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
DSC_0104.JPG
(61.5 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

pics
Attachments
DSC_0105.JPG
(50.43 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
DSC_0106.JPG
(87.64 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not bad so far. You've still got a few wobbly lines. The shank is either not quite straight or has some places that are more highly polished than others. The bottom of your bowl isn't quite symmetrical. The cheeks have a little too much material on the shank side(s) and the line of the back of the bowl doesn't match the front line. You should be able to take a picture of the profile, fold it in half, and have the same line front and back of the bowl. (That's the technique I used to figure out what it's supposed to look like, anyways.) From the top view, I can see that the left side of the bowl comes further onto the shank than the right side. You can see the same thing when looking at the profile view from the left and right. On one view, the bowl comes straight onto the shank. On the other side, it starts in towards the bowl before hitting the shank.

The button looks really nice. You may consider finding a way to make it a little shorter, but it looks like it would be reasonably comfortable.

Keep up the good work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

Thanks Jeremiah, much appreciated! This is exactly the reason I post for critique, you get to see things you would have never seen yourself, like the detail about the left side coming further into the shank. I would never think of it without this critique. About the symetricality of the bottom though, the pic is crap and taken at a very slight angle (unintentionaly), so it looks like it is of, but is acctually not (exept the left side further in thing). But that's not your fault, since you can only critique the things you see in the pics.

The shank is not quite straight, partially because I thought it would look weird if the shank was the exact same diam. all the way to the bowl, so the lines kinda flare out as they reach the bowl (after it's all said and done I realize that it wouldn't have looked weird). And the lines of the shank isn't quite straight either.

Again, thanks! :)