New to pipe making but heres a few I have made

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jwhitehead3129

New to pipe making but heres a few I have made

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

Here are a few pipes that I have made. I just started making pipes this year just because I wanted to see if I could. Thank you in advance for your feedback. Most of my pipes are all hand shaped. I just started making my own stems or modifying the premolded stems I have purchased.
Attachments
7.jpeg
(241.57 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
6.jpeg
(229.91 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
5.jpeg
5.jpeg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 965 times
sandahlpipe

Re: New to pipe making but heres a few I have made

Post by sandahlpipe »

These look like first pipes. Next thing I would suggest is opening up the slot down about 2 inches into the stem. That's going to help a lot with smoking quality. You can either use a pottery saw or a jigsaw blade to funnel the airway. Once you have a good slot, figure out how to get the bite zone behind the button down to about 4mm thick or less. Takes some practice and usually some sanding through the airways before you get it right, but the comfortability is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jwhitehead3129

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

Thank you
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

2" slot? That's the length of many of my stems!

Personally, I just try to make sure that the airway flares towards the button starting about an inch in at the furthest. Get rid of internal ridges and make sure when you draw through the stem there's no whistle. If you can get a deep air tunnel sound you've nailed it.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah.....I go between an inch to an inch and a half, depending on the design of the stem. If it is a straight taper an inch is safe. If it is going to be a super thin saddle I stay around 1.5" deep on the funnel. Cuts down on the fear or sanding through the airway. However, I only started doing that once I got comfortable cutting the funnel dead center of the stem and not letting it creap high/low. No matter how deep if it isn't centered you're gonna find it with files or sandpaper.

But, If you're like David and 99% of your pipes are 3" overall in length an inch is probably safe. :takethat:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

scotties22 wrote:But, If you're like David and 99% of your pipes are 3" overall in length an inch is probably safe. :takethat:
Lol! Scottie has spoken the truth!

The majority of the bits behind the button on my stems have been at or under 3mm and I usually stop my taper bit at 1/2" before the end of the stem. Not necessarily saying to aim for that though. As Ernie has said, "The pucker factor on that is extreme."
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Like Scottie, I usually cut my slot 1" to 1.5" deep. On occassion, with longer, thin saddles, I'll go as deep as 2". When I first started in 2008, I recall the experienced guys advise at least 3/4" deep so I've never cut it less than that.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

d.huber wrote:2" slot? That's the length of many of my stems!
Mr. Huber, you're right..........2"..........that's mighty deep.
Last edited by baweaverpipes on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

As David pointed out, the exact measurement of the funnel is less important than the fact that it's a consistent draw. JT Cooke actually cut stems I. Half to measure out what a consistent airflow felt like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jwhitehead3129

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

Thank you all for the comments and feedback. I obviously was winging this stem since it was my first one that I have made. I appreciate you all taking the time to give me some information like you have.