Strawberrywood Eskimo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Strawberrywood Eskimo

Post by scotties22 »

I had a guy (fishnbanjo on all the forums) call me a few months back and ask for a strawberry pipe. We put our heads together and came up with this. Steve sent me a beautifully long block just for this pipe...thanks Steve! I had one flaw blow out while I was blasting it, but whatcha gonna do.

Height: 1.10"
Length: 6.37"
Width: 2.10"
Chamber: .82 x .828"
Weight: 52g

The ring is tagua nut. Although I really like the figuring in the nut it looks like there are gaps between it and the stummel that aren't really there. It has some thinner (lighter?) spots in it. It looks okay, but I'm not sure if I would use it for this type of accent again.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to give the stem a waiste and fishtail it or do a side saddle. I let it sit for a few days and decided on the saddle.

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
BobR

Re: Strawberrywood Eskimo

Post by BobR »

Too bad about the flaw. I like the pipe. Very nice.
Bob
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like it. I think you should keep working with this design. An Eskimo is not an easy shape to pull off and this is definitely recognizable as an Eskimo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

That's not a "flaw" it's the wood speaking to you. Maybe it's saying "This would be a great place to add some bling or a nice accent of some kind" or "Since Eskimos are shaped like boats if you drilled out the matching side the placement would be perfect for struts for a kick ass spoiler". I liked it better before the stain, distracts from the blast.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree. Jam some Synthetic gemstones in there. ;)
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

And list it at $5000
socrates

Post by socrates »

Not a maker as yet nor able to evaluate your work but I sure love the shape. Thanks for showing it.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think it's better than the last one, but the shank looks too long for my eye, Scottie.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The eskimo shape isn't my cup of tea but I think you executed it very well. The only thing that I get hung up on is the length of the stem like Charl mentioned. A shorter length and a less drastic side saddle would have worked better, IMHO.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I think you exaggerated some aspects of this shape (which is a weird shape by itself). Looking at the shape from the top, the taper of the shank towards the mouthpiece is too dramatic- I would've kept the shank/stem junction a bit wider, allowing for a wider sideways saddle. The way you've narrowed it down makes the stem saddle really thin, much too thin for such a wide pipe, in my opinion.
Also, that flaw is pretty bad... You could have actually cut the pipe at the flaw or made a pronounced incision, maybe even an assymetrical one. It would make the pipe very interesting while still keeping it identifiable as an eskimo.

I imagine you had a lot of fun making this one! I hope we'll see more eskimos from you, if you like this shape it's definitely worth exploring :)
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

W.Pastuch wrote:I think you exaggerated some aspects of this shape (which is a weird shape by itself). Looking at the shape from the top, the taper of the shank towards the mouthpiece is too dramatic- I would've kept the shank/stem junction a bit wider, allowing for a wider sideways saddle. The way you've narrowed it down makes the stem saddle really thin, much too thin for such a wide pipe, in my opinion.
Also, that flaw is pretty bad... You could have actually cut the pipe at the flaw or made a pronounced incision, maybe even an assymetrical one. It would make the pipe very interesting while still keeping it identifiable as an eskimo.

I imagine you had a lot of fun making this one! I hope we'll see more eskimos from you, if you like this shape it's definitely worth exploring :)
I'm curious. If you have the time and inclination photoshop the flaw removal. I want to see where you are going with that.

As for the stem/shank junction being so narrow....it was the largest piece of ebonite I had. :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I believe our Polish friend had something more like this in mind.
scottieeskimo.png
scottieeskimo.png (190.56 KiB) Viewed 941 times
I agree. Look at an Eltang Eskimo and I think you'll see similar proportions.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I was more curious about the asymmetrical incision part.

I just couldn't help myself with the length. I had to use the entire block...for better or worse :)
www.ladybriar.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I like it.
Simple fact is that you made what you envisioned and that's great!
The stem might seem a bit pinched, but is does mimic the flow of the shank.
I love your choice of using the strawberry, it just looks cool with so much surface area to show what this wood offers regarding grain and birds eye.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I have no photoshop skills at all :lol:
Ocelot got it right about the length/width issue.
I can't really tell you exactly what I had in mind about the incision, it's something that you can only work out with the block in your hand , I just meant to say that you might have managed to carve out the flaw in a creative way and make it look like you meant to do that from the start ;)
However I completely understand you wanting to use the whole length of the block :) I think I will have to try some strawberry wood in the future....