Chubby pot nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
M.Bennett

Chubby pot nosewarmer

Post by M.Bennett »

This is a the fifth pipe I've completed. Due to many flaws I wasn't able to finish this pipe smooth as was intended. I decided to have it sandblasted and as I was without a setup so Clark Layton from Laytonpipes was kind enough to sandblast it for me. It was nice to have done but I feel like it was a cheat since I didn't complete the pipe from start to finish. I will be purchasing a sandblaster for my future endeavors.

With that said here is what I see wrong with it. I like the stem but I think it should be flared more for the saddle. The bit is smooth and comfortable but I think it should be a little more crisp. The stain on the smooth top should be more even. I'm sure there is plenty more to work on and I'm hoping you'll point it out to me. Thanks for looking!

sandahlpipe

Re: Chubby pot nosewarmer

Post by sandahlpipe »

It looks like you covered most of the bases with your own critique. The main thing that sticks out to me is the stem. It looks like you couldn't decide between a saddle stem and a tapered stem. For a saddle stem, you'd want the stem almost flat from the button to the saddle and the saddle itself would be sharp. If you're doing a tapered stem, you would need just a bit more taper and no saddle.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Cool pipe. Your bowl flares to a degree towards the rim so technically it's a Dublin. You've covered the issues with the stem. Other than that it looks great.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

The uneven stain stuck out for me more than the stem. I acquire a lot of pipes, as some of the people on the forum can attest. I (from a customer standpoint) dig the stem, it's different from what you usually see. I know if might not be what you're gunning for making it, but I like the looks of the stem on this pipe. It looks a tad thick to me behind the button, but other than that I like it on this one. It wouldn't keep me from buying a pipe of this style if it were on a table at a pipe show, the stain would have to be seen in person to make a decision on that.
M.Bennett

Post by M.Bennett »

sandahlpipe wrote:The main thing that sticks out to me is the stem. It looks like you couldn't decide between a saddle stem and a tapered stem. For a saddle stem, you'd want the stem almost flat from the button to the saddle and the saddle itself would be sharp. If you're doing a tapered stem, you would need just a bit more taper and no saddle.
Thanks Jeremiah! I will use that as a reference and incorporate it in the future.
wdteipen wrote:Cool pipe. Your bowl flares to a degree towards the rim so technically it's a Dublin. You've covered the issues with the stem. Other than that it looks great.
Thanks Wayne! I KNEW someone was going to correct me on the shape. lol
M.Bennett

Post by M.Bennett »

It looks a tad thick to me behind the button
Thanks for the kind words Sam. Behind the button is .145". I made the n00b mistake of sanding right through a stem on this one...this was actually the fourth stem I made for this pipe which is embarrassing. However I made it 90% of what I had envisioned and didn't settle. I don't know if that says more for my lack of experience or lack of skill. lol
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very nice pipe.
Best regards.
Félix
M.Bennett

Post by M.Bennett »

Gracias Félix! Me encanta ver todo de tus pipas y estoy feliz que están de vuelta. :D

Thanks Félix! I love seeing all of your pipes and I'm happy you're back.