Rustication

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
tritrek

Rustication

Post by tritrek »

Ok, so I've tried myself in rustication for the first time. I used Dremel bits 191 & 192. Also, I noticed that it is quite hard to put the carnauba on such surfaces. Do you have a trick for it?
Before:
Almost done:
After:
italdesign

Post by italdesign »

I really like this finish. Did you use any shellac? I can't seem to get my rusticated finish as shiny as yours. Any tips would be appreciated.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

No shellac, just tripoli and carnauba. As you say... I'm thinking of shellac not being a bad idea at all!
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

After carnuba, have you tried a heat gun to help the wax flow into the surfaces - then perhaps a clean buff.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

kkendall wrote:After carnuba, have you tried a heat gun to help the wax flow into the surfaces - then perhaps a clean buff.
Nope, but that very suggestion has been made a few minutes ago on another forum, so I guess I better believe that :D No, for real, that makes sense...
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I really like the way that came out. Well Done! I have been experimenting with a hammered rustification like a hammered bronse.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Tsunami wrote:I really like the way that came out. Well Done! I have been experimenting with a hammered rustification like a hammered bronse.
I'd like to see that! Sounds interesting... ;)
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

tritrek wrote:No shellac, just tripoli and carnauba. As you say... I'm thinking of shellac not being a bad idea at all!
It's not, and will do absolutely nothing to "seal" the pipe as the pipe lore claims. PM me if you want to know how most pipemakers do it.

Todd