My first briar pipe!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
nightserpent

Re: My first briar pipe!

Post by nightserpent »

d.huber- Thanks for the links! Those are some of the more radical and innovative stem designs I've seen, and it's veeeery inspiring! I will certainly investigate Vermont Freehand.

Your other link was quite the epic read! It seems like there's not much way around the stench. Doing a quick google image search of carved ebonite does show that it can be carved quite intricately. However, this could result in a lot of hours spent with the stem 8" away from my face. I have a feeling that could grow old quickly. I had been wondering about wooden stems for carving purposes, maybe it would be a better direction to pursue.

e Markle- would a downward bend aid clenching because it would help keep the tobacco in the bowl?

wdteipen
Yep. What Ernie said. Typically and generally speaking you want to aim for the end of the stem being slightly above the parallel plane with the top of the bowl if that makes sense.
It doesn't :lol: wouldn't the upward bend make the end of the stem be above the top of the bowl?
nightserpent

Post by nightserpent »

wdteipen wrote:Also, a slightly rough surface in the tobacco chamber can help give carbon a surface to cling to so a proper cake can be built up. You'll find varying opinions on how that chamber walls can be prepped and finished.
Thanks for the tip! With that in mind I'll try and observe how the finish of this bowl progresses after usage.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

nightserpent wrote:However, this could result in a lot of hours spent with the stem 8" away from my face. I have a feeling that could grow old quickly.
Ever heard anyone complain about stem work before? This is why.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard