So, how am I doing so far?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
randommj

So, how am I doing so far?

Post by randommj »

I have the stem Ill be using, the bowl needs to go a little bit further down, probably another 1/8 in. or so, its sitting at about 1-1 1/8 right now, it could be a little deeper, Ive yet to do an actual measurement yet...I think the easy part is over, now comes the hard part, any tips on the actual shaping, or tips on getting the stem in with a snug fit? Ill be using a drill press for the stem seat, but I just free handed with a dremel tool for what I have to far

input?

Miles
Dixie_piper

Re: So, how am I doing so far?

Post by Dixie_piper »

In the second pic, it looks like you have two seperate holes drilled, is that so?
Normally (if I understand right) if your shape requires a double drill, the draught (smoke) hole should still fall within the shoulder of the mortise.
I could be off on that, so don't hold me to it. Then again, I'm not sure if you have the mortise drilled yet (I think you'd mentioned having to do that later?) it may still fall within the shoulder once you do. Or, you could be planning on a short shank moved up to where the two will intersect, I dunno.
Looks lik the draught hole is fairly centered and the bowl is pretty square though. Just remember, dropping the TC so much as 1/16" on some styles requires reworking the whole idea (or maybe I'm just an idiot :P ) but it di for me.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
randommj

Post by randommj »

its just a little divot I marked where I thought it was going to be, its maybe 1/64 in deep, just a marker,

youll have to excuse me with the terminology, I dont know most of you post, Ive been referring to the stem hole as the "sucker hole" lol Ill need some help there

Miles
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd suggest it's easier to drill a large hole to accept the stem and then the smaller airhole inside that, rather than the other way around.

What kind of wood is that?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
randommj

Post by randommj »

Its a chunk of briar I found on ebay

Miles
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Looks pretty good to me for working only with a dremel tool.
The terminology breakdown (as best I am able to) if my explanation sucks, look up "tobacco pipe" on wikipedia and they have a labeled diagram of basic terms.
The mortise is what the tenon fits into, the tenon is a small diameter of usually delrin (a funky lil rubber plastic type material) for which you'll need a countersink hole (mortise) drilled in both the stem and shank (shank is the part of the pipe connecting the stem to the bowl/tobacco chamber)
The tenon is normally glued into the stem for a permanent fit, and the mortise at the end of the shank is of the same diameter, and close to the same depth as the tenon, normally a bit deeper though.
The smoke hole/draught hole is the small diameter hole connecting the hole in the tenon to the tobacco chamber thus allowing smoke to reach the stem.
I really suck at explaining things, hope this helped some anyway
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

randommj wrote:youll have to excuse me with the terminology, I dont know most of you post, Ive been referring to the stem hole as the "sucker hole" lol Ill need some help there